Moel Eilio - OO9

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Some more pictures of some of my locos:

Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Buoyed by the completion (almost) of Prince I've dived straight into my next project. I felt like doing something a bit different so I've decided that next up will be be my Cyprus Government Railways Naysmith Wilson 2-6-0 by Roxey Mouldings.

So far I've cut back the chassis where needed and attached the cylinder overlays. I'm now in the rather tedious process of filing down the footplate so that it'll sit level and square on the chassis. I've also started cleaning up the other parts to ensure a good fit.

A dry run assembly has revealed that it is quite a different proposition to anything else in my stud of locos. While it isn't an enormous engine I would certainly say that it dwarfs Prince, and makes Gowrie look decidedly small. That said, I believe that it will fit in the headshunt of Moel Eilio's run-round loop (just), but I'm a bit nervous about clearances on other parts of the layout!!

:lol:
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

I haven't been able to do much work on the big 2-6-0 as I've been rather busy at work. However I have been able to assemble it in a dry run so I thought you might like to see a picture or two of it. Compare it's size to Gowrie and Prince, and then bear in mind the prototype ran on a 2'6" gauge system:

British Rail

Post by British Rail »

Fantastic work there C.O., the third shot in black and white looks very convincing ...... 8) Good luck with the 2-6-0!

Rhys
brianthesnail96

Post by brianthesnail96 »

Thass a big 'un!

blimey, thought Gowrie was a big loco, thats shut me up. Maybe I can justify an 0-6-4 after all...
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

its pretty big! its dwarfs the others, thought i wonder what it'll look like running with coaches or something :P
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Well, a trip to ExpoNG has yielded a few goodies for the railway (okay the Backwoods K1 kit I bought might be a bit big), and the wheels I purchased from Parkside Dundas have returned my attention to Prince, and more specifically its tender. I'm going to build the braked version, which means a bit of fiddling around with the undercarriage.
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Its been a long time since I last posted, but that is mostly because not a lot has happened. "Prince" is in the process of having a gender change and becoming "Princess" (due to the handrail on the smokebox being wrong), and I've finally started to get the tender in order, in that the wheels are on and running level, parallel and freely.

Elsewhere on the layout I've acquired several bits of lighting and signalling equipment that needs to be installed, and due to a recent windfall have got a Simplex and a Hibberd Planet on order to join the ever-growing pile of unbuilt kits.

No timeline is in place for completing anything as my 12 inch to 1 foot scale car needs attention first!!
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

nice to see the layout back at the top again!

is there much of a difference between prince and princess though?
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

The back scene for your layout looks superb and fits in really well! :wink:

I've got that Egger-Bahn blue and cream loco too! I love it!

"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Blaqkaudio009 wrote:nice to see the layout back at the top again!

is there much of a difference between prince and princess though?
The chief differences at that point in time (late 20s/early 30s) were that "Prince" was lined and had a handrail that wrapped around the whole smokebox, whereas the smokebox on my model just has the handrail at the front - which is correct for "Princess" (the Langley kit depicts Prince in 1950s condition - where that is correct). I figured that it'd be a LOT less hassle to simply change the name plates on the model (and remove the lubricator, and lower the vacuum pipe) than to fiddle about removing the old handrail, filling the two holes that'd leave, drilling new five holes to accept the new handrail, and then fitting it.

The differences between "Prince" and "Princess" are much more pronounced these days as "Prince" has been rebuilt several times during its working life in preservation, and it is now furthest away from its original condition than any of the surviving England engines - it has a bigger smokebox, higher cab, and reprofiled frames to start with. Just have a look at these two shots of "Prince" and "Palmerston" and you'll start to get the idea.

Image Image
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Okay I thought it was time for an update on the layout, if nothing else at least to prove that I do more than just fiddle about with locos.

So here is a shot of the developing interior of the Signal Box:

Things to do on the layout include the installation of a lighting circuit; the installation of a starter signal; and the installation of some uncoupling magnets, as I recently purchased some Greenwich couplings. Should keep me busy!!
Curious Orange

Post by Curious Orange »

Well, I've embedded a couple of magnets into the track, and now I'm busy making up a WW1 box van with Greenwich couplings to try them out.

Elsewhere, my Kerr Stuart diesel is just about complete, and work continues on the signal box and a Ratio starting signal that I bought a while back.
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Keep us updated on the signal.. motorised, I guess...?
Nice work so far...
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".
santene

Post by santene »

how are the kadde couplings are they easy to fit. do they couple well do they look good do the magnets work good? whats the price? lol ino its a lot of questions but i might convert my locos and stock before it gets to be a big collection
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy