Frankland

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bryan Gundry

Post by Bryan Gundry »

If when you decide to move onto the "dream" layout you consider calling in the estate agents to put your commercial properties on the market please let me know and you could save agents commission.:idea:

The detail does take a long time, cumulatively.

But I find if you do a little bit today and a little bit more tomorrow within a couple of weeks a transformation has taken place.

When I say little I do mean little.

It could just be placing a couple of cars or a street sign.

I actually find that the end result is far better than if you attempt it all at once.

Bryan
edwardholmes91

Post by edwardholmes91 »

I had an inkling that it was based on the layout that you said, Ihave seen Billy's layout before, you have done a really neat job so far. :)
kit_friend

Post by kit_friend »

Any updates on the layout - or ideas for the building's previously marked on images?

Suggestion for future complimentary layout: model the final destination for the Franklander Express route, complete with Ocean Liner and passenger dock ready to take Franklanders of on their glamourous cruises!
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Oh yes indeed - I'm nearing completion of my gasworks and expect to have pictures in the next couple of weeks. They're very dark and satanic, contrasting nicely with the clean white Art-Deco architecture of Victory Road Station.

This layout is my 'learning layout' - I intend the next to be London terminus to the coast with a few stations in between. For me no layout is complete without those Boat Trains !
kit_friend

Post by kit_friend »

Sounds great, we love a bit of gothic darkness in a layout!

Are you using a kit or scratchbuilding?
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

It's a mixture of kit, scratch and Lyddle End.

I'm also about to embark on some landscaping too - a whole new dimension for me. I think there's a lot you can get away with in N gauge - but get the foliage wrong and the whole illusion is ruined.
kit_friend

Post by kit_friend »

I agree. 4D models (www.modelshop.co.uk) do a nice range of foliage at various scales. I think they even do etched Ivy and things though maybe not at N scale...
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Now this is inspired - Pantone references for flock - http://www.modelshop.co.uk/products/p_07.htm

Some of the trees look good. I'd like to see them in the flesh - I see they're at Whitechapel so maybe I can pay a visit sometime. I've bookmarked the link - thanks.

I think I've visited this site before. I notice much of the material seems to be for architectural modelers, who work to a different set of scales to railway modelers. It seems a shame that there aren't a set of mutually agreed scales to which modelers of all interests work. I think there are variations again when it comes to military modeling and road vehicles.
kit_friend

Post by kit_friend »

I've pretty much lived there for the past week going back and forth to get parts for the freighter and Nn3 loco :P Do give us a buzz if you're in the area and fancy a pint. I'd recommend making a thorough list before you go in, I frequently lose track of what I went for as soon as I see all the amazing items on sale.

I hadn't noticed their flock pantones - how cool. I remember at one office I worked at we used to have pantone cards to indicate coffee milk preferences - then someone went and made mugs to do the same thing!

4D's great. They do a really good range of raw materials and tools as well. They do have a 1/150 range in the store, although not as large as some of the others. For certain items other scale products they do might be as useful as well (the 1/200 handrails they do would fit as small fences or detailing for example).
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

SouthernBoy wrote:..... pictures in the next couple of weeks

.....London terminus to the coast with a few stations in between.
i look forward to both these things
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Frankland update No. 5:

Well it's a while since I posted, so here's a small update:

Slowly but surely Frankland gas works is taking shape - although there's still a fair amount to do ...

First up: An earlier picture showing (roughly) the gasworks siding which it will share with the Coal Merchant.

Next is a picture of the Walthers Cornerstone kit I'm using for the gasometer. It's a really nice kit and I would recommend it to anyone.

I posted a couple of requests on this site and RMWeb for pointers and advice to suitable weathering and received plenty of really helpful replies (thanks to those that replied). The two images below I found particularly inspiring - I just love the strong oranges and mellow yellows of rust and the gentle erosion of time - so this I've been trying to capture as far as the gasometer is concerned.

For the gasworks buildings I really wanted a very sooty look. The gasworks buildings are next to the chimney of the Retort House, they are also sited between the gasworks siding, the main railway goods yard, and the suburban lines (all still operated by steam power) - and the gasworks see coal and coke coming and going almost 24-7 ... so it will be a really quite filthy place to say the least.

As you view the images please bear in mind that still-to-do are:
Brick walling all around the gasworks; Various unkempt foliage; Completion of the siding platform for the gasworks/coal merchant, and the Coal Merchant's site (which will be to the left).

For those interested - this is / will be - a mix of Lyddle End (heavily weathered), Faller Factory Walls, Ratio Coal Staithes , the Walthers Gasometer (which still requires stairs/railings/bracing etc to be fitted) + plasticard and adhesive cobblestones (which I think were also Faller).

As I say - this is still work-in-progress - I'll update again in a few weeks. First though I have to undertake my next learning curve, which is undergrowth, weeds, bushes and other suburban foliage to incorporate into this scene.

Oh - and for Christmas ? - hopefully a digital camera for clearer pictures at last !! (these are mobile phone).
peak

Post by peak »

I was thinking of adding a gas works to my layout now that Hornby make one but was put off by the gasometer which looks to small. Wot you have done has filled me with inspiration.
I look forward to your digital pic's when you get your new camera!
If mine looks half as good as yours I will be pleased.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk
retroman

Post by retroman »

Beautiful work. I keep referring back to that art deco station. Fabulous!
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=14241
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Gotta agree with Dave about that art-deco station SB! I love it. It must be good 'cos even the friends I have that have no interest at all in trains have commented about how good it looks ;)

I like the new developments by the way. The gas installation looks excellent.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Thanks Retroman.
Infrontcat wrote:Gotta agree with Dave about that art-deco station SB! I love it. It must be good 'cos even the friends I have that have no interest at all in trains have commented about how good it looks ...
Wow - that's quite some compliment :o Are they fans of deco ? Or drunk :wink:

peak wrote:I was thinking of adding a gas works to my layout now that Hornby make one but was put off by the gasometer which looks to small.
If you're interested there's also a Graham Farish gasometer being released later this year (ready-made rather than a kit). It looks good and I probably would have bought this instead of the Walthers kit if it had been available earlier in the year. It could be a little difficult to weather though seeing as all the struts etc would be in the way. I think it's quite large - a scale 90' diameter (180mm) : http://gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp ... &strType=n