Skyblue's April 2015 Competition Thread - GWR AA7 Toad

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
skyblue

Re: Skyblue's April 2015 Competition Thread - GWR AA7 Toad

Post by skyblue »

Two more coats of paint went on today, the second being GWR Freight Grey :D.

If anyone's worrying that I'll finish before April - I won't because I still need to sort out the buffer beam, patch up bits of the paint, repair various details which have been damaged during the modifications, build and fit a chassis (that won't happen before Easter Weekend when I hope to go to the York Show), put gloss varnish on, add transfers and put a coat of matt varnish on.

Thanks for looking.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Ooh that's definitely looking the part now. Not sure about putting gloss varnish on though, I'd suggest satin at the most, and as it's a wagon, probably matt. Wagons are never shiny, even when freshly painted. Just my 'umble opinion like, mind.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Ooh that's definitely looking the part now. Not sure about putting gloss varnish on though, I'd suggest satin at the most, and as it's a wagon, probably matt. Wagons are never shiny, even when freshly painted. Just my 'umble opinion like, mind.
I put gloss on before the transfers so they stick better (as advised by Dad-1 amongst others) as the GWR grey is very matt. I then put on three or four thin coats of matt varnish to tone it down, although my wagons tend to look a little shiny. Seen as I like to model my GWR wagons in the condition you can see them in at Didcot (and some of them are quite shiny) it doesn't bother me too much.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Ahh skyblue,

It's amazing what a good filler can hide !!
Thinking out loud ..... being good with filler must be one of the best model making skills !!

Geoff T.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Thanks Geoff. What these photos don't show too well is the rather pronounced dip where the join is. :oops: Hopefully fitting a chassis will disguise this!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I agree. That's coming along very nicely. Keep posting.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I've placed an order for some bearings to pick up at York on Saturday, hopefully I should get the wagon finished over the weekend. In other news, I've put a coat of gloss varnish on and the first of the transfers- but I still haven't decided on a depot name and number. Also finding the 13T weight transfers on my transfer sheet is proving rather hard (if there are any!).
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Whilst the choice of depot is your's of course, in real life these Toads were all shedded at Acton.

Which transfers are you using ?

Tony
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I have a sheet of Modelmaster transfers and somewhere I have the Ratio Toad transfers which I think may have Acton on them. I will look later.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I've found the Ratio transfers - unfortunately they don't have Acton on them so I will have to choose between Worcester, Birkenhead, Dowlais Cae Harris, Saltney or Ludlow. Of course none of these are prototypical. I will probably go for Worcester as it's closest to my layout's setting in the West Country (Dowlais Cae Harris is probably actually closer but I'm not building a Welsh valleys layout!).
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Cor, didn't realise everyone had started their April competition builds - now catching up with your progress :D
Your wagon is looking great skyblue - and not far off completion by the looks of it. The join is virtually invisible now - very good.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Cor, didn't realise everyone had started their April competition builds - now catching up with your progress :D
I must admit to starting two weeks early but only because I far more important things to do with my time.
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

skyblue wrote:far more important things to do with my time
Wash your mouth out with soap young man :o !!! :lol:
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Almost finished:

Just need to add couplings now.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Beat me to it in the end ! I've got as far as I can with mine, am just waiting for the paint to arrive. Which shed did you decide on in the end ?

Tony