St Eval & St Merryn

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: St Eval & St Merryn

Post by Black-Marlin »

skyblue wrote:Looks good. Where are the Nissen huts from? I guess the one on the left is Hornby Skaledale but what about the other two?
It looks like the Italeri Quonset Hut kit :wink:
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Black-Marlin wrote:
skyblue wrote:Looks good. Where are the Nissen huts from? I guess the one on the left is Hornby Skaledale but what about the other two?
It looks like the Italeri Quonset Hut kit :wink:
Thanks.
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

I don't think they were, I think it was 3d printed given the fact the window openings were very thin material. Also it wasn't a kit!

I tried to dig through my paper work. If anyone went to the Woking rec show, this trader was in the main hall, on the right hand wall if you looked from the main entrance...
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

There is an amazing amount of info regarding St Eval, the Wikipedia info is fan, listing the squadrons and planes, was mostly b-24's during my chosen period. The research side and the channel five ww2 in colour series have inspired me!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I recall the B-24 Liberator as being a right B*****d to stand on it's undercarriage.
Nowhere to fix the necessary weight. That was the old Airfix model, don't know
about the others.

Geoff T.
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Had a bit of time to do some work this weekend (recovering from an ankle operation due to an accident at work (in April 2013!) means I can only do an hour or so at a time). Anyway, I've sorted the wood work for the river bit, not quite sure how I'm going to disguise the river going off into the distance but I'll get there. Laid the track for testing in the hidden sidings (AKA Wadebridge) and secured the track between St Merryn and St Eval halt, but having an internal discussion about the layout of the two sidings for the airfield as I don't want to clutter the space up (airfields and military basis in general were big!).

The river crossing:

The rest of the world:

Looking from St Eval Halt:

bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Been teaching myself how to use my airbrush, now one of my pet hates is really good model railways with shiny and empty cars abandoned in the middle of roads - we spend our time making nice models, pay attention to details and then seem to think that everyone has a factory fresh car that their drivers just leave anywhere... No, no no and more no!

So I've been working on a few of my military vehicles; first is a Wolseley 18/85:

With a light damp/dirt look compared to a factory fresh one

and a driver, note I accidentally broke the windscreen with this so will need to replace:

Then I have my airfix ambulance, not chuffed with the wheels and the way the bonnet sits against the bulkhead but the overall effect works for me:

I think I went a bit over the top with military vehicles as I have about 30 either die-cast by Oxford or kits that have been or are due to be built over the coming weeks. Just means the St Eval board will most likely be extended at some point!
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

This looks great! RAF and Southern! My two favorite things. I will watch with eagerness.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

That's really nice work with the airbrushing. I want to do similar with my own vehicles when I get to that point. Christmas might be the time to ask Santa for an airbrush. Can you tell me a bit more about yours?

Paul
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Nice going .... from another with two military wolseleys.
One got dropped & broke one fog lamp & half the front bumper
off. I'm intending to paint that one black as these were the cars
my Dad had from around 1950 well into the 1960's.

Geoff T.
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

carnehan wrote:That's really nice work with the airbrushing. I want to do similar with my own vehicles when I get to that point. Christmas might be the time to ask Santa for an airbrush. Can you tell me a bit more about yours?

Paul

Thanks, it really was pot luck - I'd been spraying bits of cardboard to understand how and airbrush worked and got bored, thought I should just give it a go and see what happened. My Uncle used to sell airbrushes on Ebay and sent me 3, 2 are the normal dual action type with a little gravity fed pot for the pain built into the airbrush and the other has clip in mixer ports. I tend to use the normal gravity fed two (0.3mm nozzel). I did treat myself to a desktop Expo compressor - the biggest lessons I have learnt are 1) go for it and 2) clean up the airbrush properly afterwards!!!

The 2 I use look very much like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Brush-Air ... 566010bc59

I don't know anything more than this, oh I used modelmates Matt track dirt (sidings) on the vehicles. I have recently tried air brushing a Revel 1:24 '58 corvette and the bits I airbrushed came up well, trouble is it shows up how awful my hand painting is. As a result of this I am building a portable fume extractor unit from PC fans as my office/shed/workshop/train room gets a bit um, dififcult to see after a bit of time spraying and even with a mask, it can't be good for me!!!
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Thanks Sr/ScR and Dad-1, this really is a tiny steps layout, I aim to get the electric sorted for the St Eval board before Christmas and maybe the basic shape of the river/hills but there is no rush. I have an old WW11 army bike that I built badly, I have in mind a bike in a ditch with Ambulance in attendance type scene on the small lane over the hill - plus of course the hidden gun enplacement using an anti air gun and a few trucks hidden in the trees around an abandoned barn - but I'm trying hard not clutter it all up - the is Cornwall in 1944 after all!

Comments and directions are much appreciated!
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Thanks for the info and links bsa77. I will look further into this.

Paul
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Been a while, new baby daughter on the 22nd of February and building a new bathroom prior meant I'd not had much time to play. However I have treated myself to:

Ordered on Thursday from Models Direct (I think), arrived 07:30 on Friday!

Didn't realise it needed an 8 pin decoder, unfortunately this means I'll have to order another sound one from Youchoos! Must get round to finishing the Beattie Well tank sound install, that's been a challenge!!!

Today I managed to get some time (15 minutes) so I've removed the photo backdrop as I've found I had too much land and not enough shy, this makes joining it up further round the layout a bit of a pain, so starting again there.

Such fun, any way it's still going, just slower than I'd like - this has allowed me to plan a small extension to the St Eval side of the layout.
VerdevaleRailway

Post by VerdevaleRailway »

Hi, nice locomotive. What carriage stock will it be running?

Shame about the backdrop being too "too much land, not enough sky", are you able to salvage it and mount it lower?

Cheers, V.R.
'whose origin was a terminus'