Dougalmacs April competition thread

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
dougalmac2

Dougalmacs April competition thread

Post by dougalmac2 »

Decided to make a model of Gedling, Notts station. It will be made mostly of 2mm greycard and probably using brickpaper from Mikes 'Wordsworth' site. (cheapskate!)

Made a start scaling drawings from RCTS 'The Great Northern Railway in the East Midlands, Colwick Yards, Nottingham London Road - Gedling-Basford' and as usual getting a ground plan from Google Earth.

Starting cutting card so will keep all informed.

Mac
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carnehan

Re: Dougalmacs April competition thread

Post by carnehan »

Welcome to the competition Dougalmacs. That's a nice looking station you are planning there. I didn't quite catch in your blurb whether this is being built in OO or N.

Paul
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Firstly thanks for your comment Carnehan. It is to be 4mm.

Due to useful info from LukeB and Jimmy77 I've decided to change my project to an Industrial low relief background as discussed in

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 32&t=47678

This is what I really wanted to do and gives me a chance of getting my act together before the start date.

Mac
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I do appreciate scratch built buildings, this looks most interesting

Geoff T.
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Thanks for the interest dad-1.

Actually got something to show -

Didn't realise how long it takes to scale a building from photos. I counted bricks on the photo, assumed they were imperial sizes them compared a patch of wall with the size if I counted bricks on the brick paper and came out quite close so I'm hoping any scale problems won't be noticeable.

I've cut the different wall panels, floor and upper plan out and have started trying out papering the walls - some pics when I have enough to know if it looks right. As I said originally all papers will be from mikem64s Wordsworth Kits post.

Mac
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi Guys

Some progress, I decided to make one section of the front wall to see how it went. Luckily the wall is in about 5 sections, all at different depths and this one is at the back. The window frames are the old metal ones so they have no depth, meaning I couldn't really use dad-1s method.

the frames are drawn on with white ink after holding the glazing over a template. This looks as though it could be a bit better so I'm hoping it will improve with practice. If I have time I will possibly replace these, but don't hold your breath as theres a long way to go,

The sign is pure fiction but as I've failed to find a good photo of the original this is my version.

Mac
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Great progress so far Mac. I'm watching this closely and taking notes as it is in essence very similar to my own competition build. That signage looks great, is it a print out or have you weathered the piece yourself?

Paul
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi Paul

I did a screen grab of the same area on the 2012 'streetview' of the building and cut and pasted small areas to clear it then just printed on top. I don't have 'Photoshop' but have a program that came with my first digital camera that I've learnt to do most things with. Ever on the cheap and don't buy what you can get by without.

Mac
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi All

A quick update -

Progress to the point of finishing the basic panels for the front of the building and now fitting the windows. Just about keeping to the schedule.

Mac
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi All

Just a progress report. The building is progessing and the lower section is all together, the flat roofs have been felted and the framework for the pitch roofs is done.

A bit of tidying up, damp course and some details to finish then its getting the roof on and ridge stones to fit.

Realy enjoying being involved with this.

Mac
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

That looks excellent and definitely looks just like the picture you've based it on. I'm watching this with anticipation of great results!
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Ooooh, that is a superb building Mac, you should be very proud of it. The subtle angles just give it so much more character than just having a flat front. The windows have turned out really well too. I look forward to seeing the final piece.

Paul
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

W G Bagnall's building rises from the rubble! Excellent!!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Great work Mac, I wouldn't call you cheapskate using brick paper from Mike Martin's Wordsworth site, at least based on my printer costs. Or is your boss picking up the tab, one of the downsides of retirement.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Thanks for all those kind comments guys.

Actually Bufferstop I retired nearly ten years ago :D

Mac