PNP's April '15 Competition Thread - NGS Highfit Open Wagons

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
PinkNosedPenguin

PNP's April '15 Competition Thread - NGS Highfit Open Wagons

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

I have decided to try something new for this competition - that's kind of the point of it isn't it really? - so I have just ordered a twin pack wagon kit from the N Gauge Society:
The NGS website did say something about delays in shipping orders in March/April, so hoping it arrives in time to make an early start on this competition build :D
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: PNP's April '15 Competition Thread - NGS Highfit Open Wa

I am pleased to say the kit has arrived in time for April :D
ImageIMG_4476 by PinkNosedPenguin, on Flickr
It looks very good - I like the way it comes with everything needed (including a range of transfers) and full instructions including plenty of information about the prototype. I just need to get some paint (my googling tells me that Humbrol 133 'brown' is a good match for bauxite :?:)

It also has the phrase in large friendly letters (no, not "Don't Panic" :lol:) "TAKE YOUR TIME!" which is excellent advice for almost anything in our hobby :)

However, the (Peco) chassis comes with plastic wheels, so I shall probably see about using some metal ones I have somewhere . . .

I will also need to fit NEM pockets for easi-shunt couplers.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

that looks like a nicely packaged kit :) and its nice it comes with everything you need (apart form paints)
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: PNP's April '15 Comp Thread - NGS Highfit Open Wagons

OK, its April, I'm off work and chores done this morning - it must be NRM Competition Build time :D !!!

Hence I've made a start on one of my wagons, the steel-bodied ex-LNER one. The Peco chassis has been filed down on top (to accept the kit body) and underneath (so I can glue on the Dapol NEM coupling pockets). The four sides have been carefully extracted from the sprues and glued together too. Its a start . . .
ImageIMG_4483 by PinkNosedPenguin, on Flickr
PinkNosedPenguin

First wagon constructed with body just resting on the chassis for now. Couplings in pockets (one easi-shunt + one rapido as per my new coupling regime) and Farish wheels:
ImageIMG_4484 by PinkNosedPenguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_4485 by PinkNosedPenguin, on Flickr

I think the painting, weathering and application of transfer will take longer than actually putting together the kit . . .
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

It looks good and it is often the case in my experience that while you can get the structure together very quickly it often takes many times as long again to finish it off.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

That's a nice looking build PNP. What's the plans for the paint scheme?

Paul
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: PNP's April '15 Comp Thread - NGS Highfit Open Wagons

carnehan wrote:That's a nice looking build PNP. What's the plans for the paint scheme?
Thanks guys, I'm going to try something new = paint it rust first, then put on some Maskol, then either bauxite or grey. Then, if it works like this video, I'll peal/scrape off the Maskol to reveal rusty areas. Not sure if that technique will look better with grey rather than bauxite? I'll do a test on some scrap plastic first and see how it goes . . . I'll try to pick out the chalk boards in black. Finally, transfers, a wash of dirt/weathering and matt varnish. A lot for a thing only about 35mm long :o
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

I'd never heard of Mastok before but having had a look at the video I will have to get my hands on A bottle. The effect it gives is really quite impressive.

That's going to be one nice looking wagon once painted. I look forward to seeing the outcome. Pen poised for note taking. 8)

Paul
PinkNosedPenguin

carnehan wrote:I'd never heard of Mastok before ...
Neither have I - it called Maskol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though I'd never heard of it either - and it remains to be seen how well it turns out in my hands :? :?
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Neither have I - it called Maskol
:oops:

Oh aye. That's the one.

Paul
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

One bottle of Maskol ordered today, now I want a wagon kit to try out some new weathering techniques. :roll:

Paul
PinkNosedPenguin

Hmmm, well I've had a go at the maskol thing - and it only kind-of worked for me :? - I found that larger areas of the top layer of paint came off than intended. And these photos are a bit cruel :o
ImageIMG_4491 by PinkNosedPenguin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4490 by PinkNosedPenguin, on Flickr

Once I get the transfers on (and varnish to seal them in) I'm hoping some dark grimy washes will tone down the stark lines between grey and rust . . .
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

I like how it looks so far PNP. The small rust spots will be enhanced if you do a small runs with red oxide and black acrylic and maybe the same colours on the large patches but dabbed on a little thicker. Using powders with the paint may give it an uneven coarseness that will look more worn. I also like to do a heavy wash of black and let it dry naturally which in my mind gives the suggestion of general dirt and grime building up on the wagon.

The beauty of what you're doing is that no two wagons will look the same and when in a rake will look all the more realistic for it.

Your thread has set in motion the desire for me to build a rake of similar wagons, heavily weathered and carrying coal or stone loads.

Paul
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I'd say they look spot on, some weathering and they will really look the part, impressed with the results the maskol has given. If I was the sort of person who weathered my stock I'd definitely get some!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.