Making the Hornby 75 ton crane look like a 75 ton crane.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
TK421

Making the Hornby 75 ton crane look like a 75 ton crane.

Post by TK421 »

I won the Hornby 75 ton crane of ebay a while back for £12 :D Bargain!
I wanted the crane for an engineering train but the model is just terrible and is desinged more for play than looks. The model I have is one of the orignal 1970's version with the water tanks on the jib runner.

To improve the crane I painted the model and added some detail of few peices of plastic.
As you can see here it improved the model but still wasn't good enough for me. After seeing someone else's attempt on rmweb of converting their crane to a diesel version I decided to make a more realistic steam crane.

First off was to dismantle the crane. I removed the little detail bits i had added, the gear wheel is made from a piece of spirograph. I was fortunate enough to find a few pieces in the loft when clearing out for some insulation which one being the right size about 35mm in diameter.

All the detail was then cut and grinded off before filling and smoothing with model filler.

Next I then concentrated on the Jib I removed the metal loop and replaced it with a 2mm copper wire bent into shape with some spare airfix plane wheels put into place. I also added some plasticard pieces to create the brackets that the new loop rests on. The wheel at the front of the jib is for the hook to run on and was made from two spare wagon wheels that came from a dapol esso tanker kit. I cut the flange from one wheel and attached it to the other before drilling a 2mm hole in the wheel and correct location not he jib and then threading some 2mm copper wire through before capping the ends with some plastic tube.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!
TK421

Re: Making the Hornby 75 ton crane look like a 75 ton crane.

Post by TK421 »

The hornby crane is based (loosely) on the cowans sheldon 75 ton crane. I searched for pictures for reference detail the best results coming from http://www.bdca.org.uk/ which had plenty of info. I also got a few photos from flickr and using the resources I started to make the crane into a close representation of the cowans sheldon doncaster built 75 ton crane.

With the jib pretty much done I moved onto the main part. The gauge on the jib was on the wrong side and so was removed and filled with and will be replaced with new one on the correct side. I then started on the arm that the cables run on to lower and raise the jib. The was made from plastic card cut to about 8cm in length with two circles either end with 2mm holes drilled through. I again drilled 2mm through the crane body in a higher position than the original arm the new arms where superglued onto the copper wire that was threaded through. The wheels are again made from dapol wagon wheels left over from a kit glued together and again threaded on 2mm wire with the wire super glued to the plastic arms the superglue pulling the arms into shape.

Next up was the detailing made from many scraps of plastic looking rather a random collection at the moment but I have studied the photos to get a close representation of the external detail. I also cut the cab of and extended the floor between the cab and the crane body creating a walkway, I also added plastic card to the inside to square off the walkway. The roof is made from plastic card cut to length and then the attached to a piece of broom handle with elastic bands before being dropped in boiling water to create it's shape.

The cab also had the chimney glued back on in 'traveling' position and the cab opened up. I then cut an old loco body to create the boiler to go inside (forgot to photo it). To lessen the droop the cab is supported by two pieces of plastic card underneath and a upside down L shape that will go in the interior and won't be seen when the model is finished. The roof itself won't be glued on until last so that the new cables can be added first.
TK421

Post by TK421 »

I added on detail on both sides. With everything made from scraps of plastic from kits etc, the exception to this is the cover for the lowering gear. I had nothing suitable so this was made from 2 pieces of mounting board glued together with the left over wheel, that I had removed the flange from earlier, and was glued on top.

The crane body was then primed (although I missed a few details that where added on after) I also added some detail to the chassis the stabilization arms where cut to length and glued in their sockets. I added two ladders both made from a old wagon ladder and the top half made with cut up pieces of ration fence. The blue card was added for the plate I spotted in one of the photos and few extra bits of plasticard added to represent the correct stabilizers.

Next was the jib runner.
This was very inaccurate first I removed the water tanks and rest for the jib, once remove the wagon looked like a poor attempt at a grampus now. Nothing about it was right. So i stripped it to it's bare bones remove the sides and underframe detail leaving just the base and the W irons for the wheels. The sides and the new under frame box where all built up from plasticard. The extra frame detail was created from a 2mm strip of plasticard cut to shape and glued to represent what can be seen on the crane. I added brake shoes left over from a kit. The horrid hornby couplings removed, the holder then had 2 triangles plasticard added either side and the gaps filled flush on both ends of the wagon. I then glued some slightly better bachmann couplings. The jib rest is made from plasticard cut to shape with the top being removed from he original and glued in place.

I added the final bits of detail on the jib runner, including 4 rectangles of card added to represent the tool box covers and the original raising hoop was cut short and glued to the front of the wagon. Next I primed then rest of the crane.
TK421

Post by TK421 »

With the crane primed it was time for a paint job. I started with acrylic red but the colour is weak and wouldn't cover next was some revell No. 34 red but two coats still wouldn't cover the primer so I switched to Revell sm330 which gave the model the final coat, with the detail picked out in black, yellow and white. I used several photos from the previous mentioned website to make sure the colouring was right.

With the top coat applied I could added some cotton to represent the wires and finally glue the roof down. The hook was taken from the lima/ hornby railroad crane I added the original chain from the model to the jib runner as an extra detail.

A close examination of the photos will show a few paint touch ups are needed, I will also need to line and renumber the model. I may attempt the lining with a lining pen but we shall see.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Looks big and bukly and heavy - just as it should. Nice work.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

It looks amazing - I wonder how long it will be before one of the RTR manufacturers produces a detailed, accurate model of a crane?
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Cheers guys I know there are a few inaccurate details with it but I'm happy with it.