Partwork Flying Scotsman

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
SirMeliot

Partwork Flying Scotsman

Post by SirMeliot »

OK. Here's my attempt at building this. This is the first eteched kit I've tried so here goes....

First off. Having started to bend up the rear of the cab I notice that the holes for the washout plugs aren't fully formed.

Poked some holes in it...

and opened out the hole and we're back on track

Now for the first bit of soldering. The wooden thing is a plank with a couple of battens stuck to it a right angles. That gives a variety of right angles to put parts up against. Thanks to RMweb for that tip.
A smear of flux on the edges and then running a bead of solder along the back gives a nice clean joint when viewed from the outside.

Here's the basic structure made up.

Now to add some of the details.
Lining up the frame as best I could I fixed it in place with a clothes peg. (another RMweb tip). A quick dab of solder from the inside tacks it in place.

Before turning it over and soldering all the way round.

Repeating this for the rest of the frames and the beading round the rear of the cab.
The instructions show the beading being bent in mid air to suit the curve of the cab, but I tack soldered to the cab and bent it round as I went.

Washout plugs are glued in. This is the only bit I glued as I don't have anything to solder white metal without melting it.

Finally the cab is washed and excess solder removed, mostly with a fibreglass brush.

I'm quite happy with it for a first attempt at an etched kit. The window frames aren't quite level, but I can always do another one. It's certainly worth the 50p for the first issue just for the experience of making up the cab.

I have subscribed, but it's about another four issues before there are enough parts to make a start on building the frames
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

Last edited by dr5euss on Fri May 27, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

I'm using a 30 watt iron I saw in the cheapie shop for just £1.49
I already had a smaller iron but I thought this might need something a little bigger.

All in all quite an inexpensive way to spend an afternoon.
Raider

Post by Raider »

As this is going to be a long running project (due to the nature of when you will get the parts) I've made it a sticky - hope you don't mind.
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

I don't mind. No progress for a while though. As far as I'm aware it takes the next three issues to get the cast footplate and left and right frames before any more assembly work takes place.

Certainly the part two 'File the flash off the casting' segment of the DVD bundled with part one wasn't epic viewing.
thebuisnessman

Post by thebuisnessman »

So you don't fancy buying the actual DHJ kit for £200 less then :wink:
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

It's not £200 less when you consider the DJH kit doesn't include wheels which are £128 extra :D
Value for money on this is questionable, especially as it isn't really a DJH kit. They just lent their masters for Hachette to reproduce it. Apparently with many parts cast in plastic instead of metal.

However getting a few parts every month and building it that way appeals more than dropping £600 on an O gauge Pacific, which to be honest isn't a sensible purchase when you've got a bunch of unfinished OO stuff hanging around.

I always wondered what loons buy these partworks but I quite like this one.
thebuisnessman

Post by thebuisnessman »

Well good luck to you anyway! Does it come with the neccesary gears/motor?
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

Nope. But neither does the stock DJH kit. Motor & gearbox from DJH is £100.
If I get that far I'll use DJH's motor. Hachette's motor comes bundled with track and what looks like a Gaugemaster controller.
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

SirMeliot wrote: I always wondered what loons buy these partworks but I quite like this one.
At least you've worked out how much it'll cost you! Good luck with it :)
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

Aah Sir Meliot,

I have bought issue 1 and also subscribed(starting at issue 1...it's only 50p!)

Unlike Your good self I will use the super glue ( this could be a mistake! ) hopefully we can help each other out as the build progresses!
As the cab is now built it has been put safely away until required..whenever that may be!

Here's my cab:-

For all those that haven't read the other thread, this partwork is a total of 125 issues, this will total £617.26+ the motor/gearbox, pick-ups and motor mount.
This does come with transfers!

A DJH A3 kit costs £462 + motorgearbox(£100***) and wheelset (£128)

Total price £690 + transfers

***I have found the motorgearbox that Hatchette are currently advertising is available from DJH for £51.50, this isn't the one that DJH actually recommend for the A3 though. It can be seen here

Ian
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

It'll be interesting to compare soldered & glued builds. Good luck with yours.

I'm having second thoughts on the position of the cab front window frames with regard to clearance from the boiler. The instructions are vague here.
Will post some pictures to illustrate once I get some decent scans of the completed model.
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

Here's what I alluded to earlier. The clearances around the window frame are limited.

My original placement was I think a little too far inwards and could potentially foul the boiler.

Lots of fiddling later and it's soldered back in place as near to the outside edge as it will go.

One of the disadvantages of this build is that you can't offer up the boiler to check the fit as you don't have it yet.
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

Well it looks like Hachette have addressed the washout plug issue with some amended instructions
linky
61650gtfc

Post by 61650gtfc »

Heres an attempt i have made to model a later cab for an A3 using the Hatchette Parts. I will buy a double chimney, banjo dome and bucket seats from Ragstone models to make into a later BR loco.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1223