St. Blazey's - My first layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

St. Blazey's - My first layout

Post by End2end »

Hi all.
St. Blazey's will be my first attempt at building a layout.
I originally started a topic in the welcome forum which has progressed so much so that it's time to carry on in the planning forum I feel.
Please have a look at the intial posts from the original topic here - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 18&t=44775 - as there maybe some points that could be valid to other members or maybe some glaring mistakes I have made so far as a newb :?

But a brief description would be a sort of heritage line terminus but with no exact period set around the south west if anywhere, running smaller locos, DMU's, coaches and goods wagons. I'm not worried about being exact to any prototype.

Here is the track plan so far as I continue to do "off board" stuff like making LED looms for buildings.
layout Design Plan 2 50.JPG
layout Design Plan 2 50.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
Currently still looking at DCC controllers
end2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout

Post by End2end »

Hi members.
Just a quick update on what i've been upto in the last few days.
I've been doing more "off layout" stuff including painting some buildings insides black, then white to stop light leakage from the building lights I have added.
Painting the insides white after painting them black really helps bounce the light around inside.
Made some cardboard rigs for the LED's to connect to on some of the buildings.
Also added a figure to the Hornby modern house, looking out of the window.
Used some old transfers from a model kit to apply decals to a VW bus and started playing around with the excellent "print and make" Wordsworth models.

The Wordsworth models can be found here - http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/index.html

I am in no way affliated with the site, I just really like them. :)

Here are some pictures of my progress so far.
Buildings with lights.JPG
Buildings with lights.JPG (29.06 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
FallerHousesInside.JPG
FallerHousesInside.JPG (37.93 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
FallerLights.JPG
FallerLights.JPG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
GarageInside.JPG
GarageInside.JPG (27.6 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
MockGeorgian1.JPG
MockGeorgian1.JPG (28.53 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
More pictures to follow as you can only add 5 per post.
end2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Some more pictures of the current work in progress.
MockGeorgian2.JPG
MockGeorgian2.JPG (30.68 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
MockGeorgian3.JPG
MockGeorgian3.JPG (25.17 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
MockGeorgian4.JPG
MockGeorgian4.JPG (25.11 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
VW1.JPG
VW1.JPG (28.28 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
VW2.JPG
VW2.JPG (25.34 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
I made the wheel clamps for the VW bus out of a weetabix box. It seemed like the exact colour I was after even without having to paint them :)
The MOCK GEORGIAN HOUSE is actually the MODERN HOUSE by Hornby, I was mistaken as I have both.
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

That's a nice touch modelling the clamp on the VW Campervan - I don't think I've seen that modeled before. Now that you're moving beyond the planning stage it might be worth starting a thread in the 'Personal Layouts - Under Construction' section.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Too many questions!!!! Maybe you should number them for us to back reference them too!!! :lol:
Nice looking "complex" "little" railway :D
I think most of your questions have been answered, but here's my penny's worth (in brief):-
Isolated track is pointless on a DCC layout
As you wont be running "fast trains" (slow shunting) and your envisaging "short" engines (few pickups), that combination will be troublesome with insulfrog points, consider Peco short electrofrog points, as once you buy and lay track it will be too late in the day to turn back!
Peco 100 streamline short points are only 3/4in longer than set track, admittedly a larger radius may be your issue, but with so many crossovers the 50mm gap between lines instead of Hornby's 67mm will give you more room width wise.
PC power supplies are cheap if you have a free source! And will blow things up with their high current capabilities when something goes wrong! Answer is yes use them, but divide up the final circuits into "small" current area's and feed each via a suitable fuse.
Bachmann and Hornby are fine for running but useless for changing CV's, for only a little more, you can get an entry level system, that programs and is expandible. Look at nce powercab or (if you really want a knob) mrc prodigy express.
Train detection is easily achieved with an IR detector and if you really need to stop trains (in blind spots), start looking at "DC injection braking" (yes it can work in one direction only, so you can back out!)

I like the idea of white after dark in the buildings, bulbs not a problem, but leds are very (spot) directional and need some "diffusion"
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for your replies members.

@skyblue
Yes unfortunatly I do not have a baseboard yet that's why it's still in the PLANNING section.
I'm trying to do as much stuff as I can before I receive the materials to make the baseboard, as they hopefully should be coming for free. It's just a matter of waiting.

"That's a nice touch modelling the clamp on the VW Campervan - I don't think I've seen that modeled before."
Thanks skyblue. They are, in my head, wheel clamps to keep the campervan secure whilst it on a driveway.
Theres too many parking parasites in the real world...they won't be making it onto the layout lol

@Timbersurf
"Isolated track is pointless on a DCC layout" ....ok I think ill leave those out. In fact the isolating sections were a "possibility" rather than an actuality.

"Peco 100 streamline short points are only 3/4in longer than set track, admittedly a larger radius may be your issue, but with so many crossovers the 50mm gap between lines instead of Hornby's 67mm will give you more room width wise."
Yes the radius and size of baseboard are my limitations here (7foot 2 inches by 2 foot), although I will be using PECO setrack rather than hornby, at the very least on all the points with maybe some spare Hornby track that I have for the straights.

"PC power supplies are cheap if you have a free source! And will blow things up with their high current capabilities when something goes wrong! Answer is yes use them, but divide up the final circuits into "small" current area's and feed each via a suitable fuse."
My electronics knowledge is very low, so with the knowledge from other membwers here I think its best not to use PC power supplies.
These were only intended for the scenery lighting, with the possibility to use them also for points but Ithink I will be able to use the WALL WART power supplies that I already have. 12v DC regulated.

"Bachmann and Hornby are fine for running but useless for changing CV's, for only a little more, you can get an entry level system, that programs and is expandible. Look at nce powercab or (if you really want a knob) mrc prodigy express."
At the moment im trying to raise some funds for the NCE POWERCAB to give me more expansion and controlling ability. A case of finances unfortunatly.
If it comes to it I will have to start off small and replace things as finances improve.
Although it is a train set, yes I know :roll: I have been looking at the BACHMANN 30-041 DIGITAL STARTER SET. Currently £104. This will give me a controller and 2 DCC engines.
Poor yes, but a start towards where i'm going I think and I will be able to at least control some trains to begin with, once the baseboard materials arrive.
I think this would be the cheapest way to start excluding the Hornby Select because, let's be honest, it's a train set controller parading as DCC.

"Train detection is easily achieved with an IR detector and if you really need to stop trains (in blind spots), start looking at "DC injection braking" (yes it can work in one direction only, so you can back out!)"
Ahh... I shall look into both of these. Do you or any other members have any recommendations on IR detectors/DC injection braking systems for use on a DCC layout?

"I like the idea of white after dark in the buildings, bulbs not a problem, but leds are very (spot) directional and need some "diffusion""
After I painted the inside of the buildings black then tried the lights inside I found that there was no light leakage but the LED's didn't light the buildings up enough.
Now after painting the insides white they are much better at flooding the buildings with light and give a good light from the outside view.

Thanks for all your advice.
St Blazey's is (albeit slowly and excuse the pun) on the right track.
And most of all, even with no trains or track laid, I'm having fun making the scenery models and experimenting. :D

Sorry if this gets posted twice. The 15 mintues to edit a post is too short and this post took over 15 minutes to construct and type!
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

End2end wrote:
Sorry if this gets posted twice. The 15 mintues to edit a post is too short and this post took over 15 minutes to construct and type!
End2end
If you anticipate a lengthy post it's worth constructing it in Word, and copying & pasting the final version into the Forum - I've lost some when I've been interrupted, and had to start again!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I could wail on about the NCE Powercap starter kit at £125, but if your on a tight budget, bachmann throwing in 2 locos and some trucks for even less is a bargain!
Look on the links page on my website for some electronics companies that do IR detectors.
End2end

Post by End2end »

TimberSurf wrote:I could wail on about the NCE Powercap starter kit at £125, but if your on a tight budget, bachmann throwing in 2 locos and some trucks for even less is a bargain!
Look on the links page on my website for some electronics companies that do IR detectors.
Thanks Timbersurf. I visited your site but I cannot click on any of the buttons on the BEGINNERS ADVICE - page http://www.elotion.co.uk/index2.html
Neither START, CONTROLS, TOP TIPS, LINKS or the HOME button seem to work.
Is this the correct site/page you mean?
Thanks again.
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Cheers mate! Your the first to actually give me any feedback on the site, its only been running a week!
Works perfectly in Explorer 11, but is broken, as you say in Chrome and Firefox! I'll get on to fixing it immediately, but in the mean time here's the links

http://www.elotion.co.uk/link.html
http://www.elotion.co.uk/tips.html
http://www.elotion.co.uk/controls.html
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for the links Timbersurf.
And just so you know, for the links on your site, I am a firefox user.
Thanks again :)
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Website now fixed
End2end

Post by End2end »

TimberSurf wrote:Website now fixed
Unfortunatly the buttons on the beginners advice pages still do not work on Firefox.
What I have managed to read and see I enjoyed. Keep up the good work :)
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

I use Firefox and it works ok for me. (I click on "Lumsdonia" and arrive at http://www.elotion.co.uk/index1.html (not http://www.elotion.co.uk/index2.html .)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Ex-Pat wrote:I use Firefox and it works ok for me. (I click on "Lumsdonia" and arrive at http://www.elotion.co.uk/index1.html (not http://www.elotion.co.uk/index2.html .)
Yes the home page i.e. - http://www.elotion.co.uk/index1.html is fine, it's the aforementioned buttons on the BEGINNERS PAGES at http://www.elotion.co.uk/index2.html that do not work for me.
But no matter as these pages do work -
http://www.elotion.co.uk/link.html
http://www.elotion.co.uk/tips.html
http://www.elotion.co.uk/controls.html
And i've bookmarked them all :)
Thank you Timbersurf :D
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building