Starlingford's Best Pictures

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

Black-Marlin

Starlingford's Best Pictures

Post by Black-Marlin »

Hi all

After some three years' work on Starlingford, I thought it was about time to load up some of the better pictures on their own thread. Don't expect this to be updated massively often, as I seldom enough get the opportunity to work on the model never mind photograph it (I'm based in Aberdeen, Scotland; the layout is in my parents' house in Bangor, Northern Ireland), but given that these pictures are spread across 40 pages I thought it might be helpful to put them all in one place.

One further addendum - not everything in all these pictures is finished, and there is considerable variation in the 'completeness' on display. These pictures, after all, span a three-year period. That being said, I think it's still possible to take a decent photo even of a model that is incomplete...

So let's get things started then with the Grouping-era photographs...

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford's Best Pictures

Post by Black-Marlin »

Here are some of the BR Steam-era pictures:

Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Advancing on to more modern stock ('modern' being a relative term!) here is some BR diesel action:

slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Fantastic :D

Slackers
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd
TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Post by TerryB »

Excellent.....thanks for posting them. 8)
T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Most excellent photographs for a most excellent layout! I especially like the J39 on Blood & Custards.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

slackbladder wrote:Fantastic :D
TerryB wrote:Excellent.....thanks for posting them. 8)
Thank you both :)

Here are some non-train-based pictures for all to enjoy:

Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

...And these, I think, are the last I have to offer:

Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

PeterH wrote:Most excellent photographs for a most excellent layout! I especially like the J39 on Blood & Custards.
Thanks Peter! I don't know that I have any more pics of the J39 and blood & custards that are significantly different to the one I've posted, but I quite like this image here:

Last edited by Black-Marlin on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Hi again black, I love the fine details such as the lady hoeing between the cabbages lol.
I agree about the J39 on the blood and custard. I too have a J39 on a loft layout and have been wondering just what would look good behind the loco. This has given me good guidance, can I ask who's coaches they are?

Not wanting to be a copy cat but I am about to fit some polystyrene sheets between the roof spars exactly like you have there.. This is like looking at my own loft. :D

Greets slackers
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

slackbladder wrote:I too have a J39 on a loft layout and have been wondering just what would look good behind the loco. This has given me good guidance, can I ask who's coaches they are?
Hi slacker!

J39s were primarily goods engines - or, at least, Gresley designed them as such - and I think that therefore they look particularly good on van trains:

But I agree that they look equally fine on passenger duties - they were often used on the 'Sunday School Specials'. The coaches I have behind mine are Bachmann Mk1s, and the train is comprised of 2x first class; 1x buffet car; 1x second class; 1x brake. At the time I bought them they were a mere £18 a pop, which is a superb price for what are probably the best-running coaches I own (their only real competition on Starlingford are the Hornby Maunsells). Hattons is currently taking pre-orders for the next batch - more information is here.

(Although, if you're wanting to do things even cheaper, the J39 was a NE engine and so you could feasibly use the crimson-and-cream Thompsons, which, at £15 each, might be an even more attractive proposition. The trade-off comes in terms of motive power: the Mk1s look good behind almost anything, while the Thompsons are really for NE stock. Having said that, a rake of six or seven would look stunning behind a BR-blue A4 if you happen to have one...)

Hope this helps,
Gavin
slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Gavin... talking my language (someone who does at last) ohh thank you for the tips and info. And absolutely yes to the J39 on the vans. I was somehow hoping you would say the coaches were Bachmann

Many thanks again

slackers (Peter) :)
westbrom

Post by westbrom »

Smashing pics of a really great layout.

Neil
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

crumbs!!

what livery & company is that pannier supposed to be?

Weathering Heights Light Railway?? :P :D
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

trainsandco wrote:crumbs!!

what livery & company is that pannier supposed to be?

Weathering Heights Light Railway?? :P :D
This pannier?

I think this is the London Metropolitan Railway. Barely visible under all the rust and grime I applied to tone it all down (this was my very first weathering project!) is the crest of the city of London.

BTW, a friend of mine who considers himself quite the gift to the ladies was once very chuffed when I described him as 'Heathcliff'. He quietened down considerably, though, when I finished with '...Huxtable'! :D

Gavin