Now For ...."Works End"

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whynot

Now For ...."Works End"

Post by whynot »

....something rather different (than the N round n round!).

I think it might justify a name!

Continuing the beginnings in 0 16.5 in "Narrow Gauge" here because, well, it's just a layout under construction and I don't think scale should debar it.

Board built and primed, points are on order and initial stock nearly completed. The commonplace converted Hornby Pug is VERY basic - I went for the neat and tidy rather than the over-ambitious. Ditto the wagons - except the Peco van kit which I messed up by spilling Plastic Weld over part of it but managed at least to salvage well enough to build!.

Shame about the photobucket posting links being down, but if anyone interested can follow separate link

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/wasnti ... sort=3&o=0

or view entire Album

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/wasnti ... t=3&page=1

All pretty basic and amateur I know, but I am building stuff myself - it IS modelling in (and on) my terms. It is also relatively cheap. Loco and 4 DIY wagons stand me at c. 40 quid. Track will total £60. Card building kits £50. And I can't spend much quickly - whatever I buy I have then to build!
Last edited by whynot on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SR/ScR Fan

Re: Now For ....

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

I think the pug conversion is very good Dave :)
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Nowt wrong with the pug from where I'm standing. I also like the way you've got the timbers up the right way on the shed doors.
Pete.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks both!

Finished loco at

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/wasnti ... t=3&page=1

I'm OK with the overall "look" - not pleased with 1. the chimney - it fitted fine dry but once glue added didn't press fully home. with a slight gap at base, 2. having to touch in some of cab matt black with a brush having glued roof in place - I should have sprayed the complete shell after fixing roof and 3. removing some of white banding on tank along with the C R lettering - at that stage I hadn't decided to keep the factory finish blue.

But I've seen worse examples - and at least the door openings match and the spectacle plate is a good fit around the top of the tank!

Might get better....
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi whynot,

It's up to you to decide if you can do better, but to me that's a
great industrial works, or yard loco.
They came in so many variants, and that was before users modified
further for their own specific requirements.

Geoff T.
whynot

Post by whynot »

I was just testing and hey p'bucket link is back! I'll have to work faster now.

whynot

Post by whynot »

And ...thanks Geoff. Just the details could be better, altho' the next one (whenever that might be) will probably be a chopped diesel.
whynot

Post by whynot »

And the plan is.....

Altho' the siding lengths may alter a little.
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

whynot wrote:I was just testing and hey p'bucket link is back! I'll have to work faster now.

Very good news on two fronts :D :
  • posting of externally hosted images is working again
  • your new layout looks excellent - it has character already, I like it
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks PNP. 0 scale (whatever the gauge) in 60" x 18" seemed to call for not just one flat top - even a little variation in levels might help the illusion!

And the Topic Notification is also back - excellent.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Wagons, loco(s), buildings.....all keeps me moving onward!

Factory for LH end. The card kit comes designed for central "office" bit and two wings. The base to which it fits is shaped accordingly, but I want them in a different order so having to build separately and significantly strengthen internally.

Under construction...

One wing and office will be to the rear

The other wing will go lower and to the end and have an opening for track to disappear (and so can't be finalised until I know where the rails ARE!

The idea is to have a "bridge" joining the upper and lower factory parts across the board exit track.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Rather than chop part of the kit I thought I'd do a mock up from photocopied bits - worked well enough simply to use and save the unused "wing" for now at least. I quite like the overall group(ing) of the Works at the End of the (to be) scenic bit.

The differing heights break it up well I think.

And I think it may have a name - Works End?

(Photobucket maintenance appears to have worked - now uploading properly and re-sizing - as here - is quick.)
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

That is fantastic work you've done so far! I look forward to seeing more!
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thank you! It all feels quite slow progress, but then unlike say my round and round in N I have had to "build" the wagons and the loco and build/adapt the structures. So maybe not too shabby!

Next I guess is laying track and fixing back/end boards - all of which requires carrying it outside to the lean to....so slightly better weather would be useful!

Onward...
whynot

Post by whynot »

Change of track plan for Works End. Decided having a run round loop too cramped (and too much over-stressed flexi) and given my relative lack of interest in actually running trains not really necessary.

And Works End it is (with or without an apostrophe according to interpretation). Obviously, the line used to run further on to Town End but was terminated at The Works Sidings when a dual carriageway cut the already semi derelict line in two....see, I can babble with the best!

Most of the track screwed down today.....

Onward.