Wither Green 00 gauge Third rail.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
THE CHIEF

Wither Green 00 gauge Third rail.

Post by THE CHIEF »

Hello. This is the new thread for my new build. Its new :lol:
Following the sale of my N gauge layout I need to make a fresh start. A fresh era and a fresh scale. So welcome to my 00 gauge plank set in the 80's-90's. The layout will be split into two boards with a combined length of 14ft by 18inches. It will be split into two districts.
Left of the road bridge will be a small TMD and station that handles a hand full of trains a day. It will be a station that has been simplified with the run around loop lifted and the second platform knocked down. The TMD will be where the goods sidings used to be. The half demolished station should allow for an interesting mix of the original concrete construction and newer brickwork. The platform will take a four car emu or small diesel and three coaches. The line leading to the the station will be electrified with third rail but the TMD will not. This could be fun running a 73 in on electric power and switching over to diesel to enter the sheds.
Right of the road bridge will contain the fiddle yard and some engineering sidings. The siding will be an overgrown affair with badly laid track and poor ballasting (on purpose I promise :wink: ). I can do a bit of shunting at this end with some wagons or move some locos at the other end. If I can I would like to automate the passenger trains between the station and fiddle yard with a manual override for when I want to take over. Above the fiddle yard will be some sort of removable scenic section, I've not decided on that yet. Couplings will be by kadee with full DCC control. Points will be controlled by SEEP motors running off a gaugemaster controller.
I'll be building this in two stages Starting with the Left hand board and TMD. The second board and sidings will follow. I should be ordering the materials and track in the next few days.
So expect to see some NSE and intercity stock, mixed with some blue and dutch. Dirty diesels and sparky arcy electric stock :) If there's any glaring errors in the track plan speak up now and let me know! So this is it. Perhaps a bit cliche but I will make this my own. I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet... :D
Last edited by THE CHIEF on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
skyblue

Re: Unnamed DCC plank

Post by skyblue »

Have you considered having a run-round loop at the platform to allow a bit more flexibility? Other than that I think it looks like a really good plan and I look forward to seeing it develop.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

if your last layout is anything to go by this is going to be a brilliant build thread to keep up with, good luck with it and make sure to keep us updated will be watching with interest :)
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

skyblue wrote:Have you considered having a run-round loop at the platform to allow a bit more flexibility? Other than that I think it looks like a really good plan and I look forward to seeing it develop.
THE CHIEF wrote: It will be a station that has been simplified with the run around loop lifted and the second platform knocked down.
Thanks skyblue. I did think about that at first. I decided to go with a simplified plan where the loop has been lifted and station modified. There's a station near me like this with points lifted and overhead EMU's rolling in and out on the same line. I quite like the bleak look of it. On loco hauled services I'll uncouple in the platform and back a fresh loco from the TMD onto the train to take it away. Then the first loco will be bought back into the TMD for fueling and whatnot :)

Alex. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I ordered the track this morning. I have already printed a 1:1 track plan. After I've double checked everything and cheched the position of the cross members I'll order the wood for the frame :)
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Yeah!! 00 gauge, welcome back from the dark side - this forum was starting to look like the N(ew) Railway Modellers, look forward to seeing it develop.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Ahhh A size I can relate to !!
Probably be able to include a claggy 37 !!

Geoff T.
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Thanks chaps :)
Indeed I will :) I quite like the intercity or triple grey on a 37. Basically anything pre EWS could turn up!
Well... Tracks in the post :)
I have a lima 33 sitting here from way back when. "A quick repaint will sort that out" I thought to myself...
WRONG!!!
The moulded hand rails when painted looked like fins :shock: So those have been cut away and holes drilled for wire handrails. The glazing needs some work, the buffers are waaay too small and I need some exactoscale wheels. BUT... It has plenty of sentimental value and is worth my time and effort. So the 33 will be my first project loco. On the plus side the motor is sound and runs sweetly. I won't rule it out purely on its age ;)
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Sounds like an interesting project, no harm in putting effort into older models especially those that have centamental value - I did with a triang Jinty - spent 4-5 times its value fitting new chassis but it's worth every penny to me
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Glad to see you won't be without a layout build Chief. It's not an era or layout type I know much about but knowing your skill, I'm sure it'll be a cracker. I'll certainly be watching. :D

All the best for the new venture. :)
whynot

Post by whynot »

Carefully planned and will no doubt be creatively executed - great potential here I reckon! Bring it on....
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Wow, thanks guys :shock: Not even a fishplate down yet and already drawing positive comments :D
When the track arrives tomorrow I'll be able to check the final clearance of the framework. Then I can order the wood and break out the tools :wink: I need to sort myself out a DCC controller, I sold mine a while back not thinking I would need it again... oops :lol: I think I have an EZ laying around somewhere, although I might have given to my mates boy. In any event I'll be on the lookout for a powercab or prodigy express system. That should be plenty to operate the layout :)
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Hello peeps. Here's the first peak at things going on. Nothing special, just some items placed on a 1:1 scale plan. It should give a sense of how things will look.
The shed area. The Queen Mary is in primer grey. It was a bauxite model from years ago. It will be repainted into a more modern livery.
The main assault course of points. Electrofrogs with polarity switching should render them harmless :) The MK3 Cortina is in the staff car park.
These lima MK1's are filling in for an EMU. Most services will be two car units, either EPB's or 108 DMU's. Its just there to highlight the maximum length of a train that can be held in the platform. I'll get some wood ordered Monday and start on this properly :wink:
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Just found your new thread Chief - looks like an interesting project. Good luck with the bigger scale...
luckymucklebackit wrote:Yeah!! 00 gauge, welcome back from the dark side - this forum was starting to look like the N(ew) Railway Modellers, look forward to seeing it develop.
Dare I say: "just think what you could have done with 14ft x 18 ins in N gauge 8) " No, better not mention it :lol:
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Ahhh This should be easier on my eyes !!
OOOOhhh Look a Hornby 06 in blue ...... 'Marilyn' will be jealous, she's out of service
at the moment, complete pick-up failure on one axle & on a 0-4-0 that means big
trouble.

Geoff T.
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Thanks PNP. Yes... I did consider N. As you say there's lots I could have fit in. A mainline terminus, with engine shed, and carriage sidings and a turn table and a goods yard and... My head exploded :lol: Whilst a model akin to London bridge as an end to end could have been fun I needed a fresh start. So 00 instead of N, diesel instead of steam and modern over vintage. Nothing against N at all! Its a great scale. But for a smaller depot I think a larger scale will draw you in to the model a bit more.

Dad-1. Yes that's Marilyn's evil twin :) The 06 is an interesting model. Hornby sent out an Email selling them for £13ish. At that money I couldn't resist. And judging by the amount on eBay right now neither could a few others. I've got an old Lima 33 being hacked about from my 00 stuff at the moment. I must add a picture at some point. I'm just waiting on a good time to go to wickes to get the wood. Its about ten minutes away bit they want £25 to deliver the wood. Best wait and put that money toward something more fun. I was looking the the 06 earlier. Thinking about pickups funnily enough. With the chunky steps I wondered if you could add some extra skids behind them?