Spare room layout - as yet no name

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dubbleojon

Spare room layout - as yet no name

Post by dubbleojon »

Following on from my planning thread here http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=42813

Construction of the baseboards has started using 9mm ply and 69 by 18mm pse timber.
Still got a few more boards to build including the dropped level bit for the viaduct and the lift up section for the door way.
The winnie the pooh border wont come off with out ripping the wallpaper and as i am quite happy with the colour of the room (nice and light and airy) and i don't want to repaper i will cover it up with the backscene when I have decided what and how...

Appropriate signage has been obtained for the bedroom door.
SR/ScR Fan

Re: Spare room layout - as yet no name

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

Good space you've got there, and you've made a great start. Good luck!
jon_1066

Post by jon_1066 »

You should definitely call it the 100 acre railway!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Dare you to try and blend your backscene with the very pleasant view through your window!! Best of luck with your project

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

A room with a view 8)

I personally would have gone for a "No Trespassing on the Railway" sign :lol:
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

Regarding layout name I have been pondering on a winnie the pooh theme
spinney wood or milne wood but then they both conjure up images of lots of trees, not something I was planning on having. Other non pooh thoughts are nursery road or nursery moor.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Also after seeing the size of the main baseboard I am wondering if I have included enough track, but will wait to lay it all out before I decide as I am determined to leave space for scenery.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Nursery Road has a good ring to it.

I would say do not try to cram too much track in.
luckymucklebackit

dubbleojon wrote:Regarding layout name I have been pondering on a winnie the pooh theme
spinney wood or milne wood but then they both conjure up images of lots of trees, not something I was planning on having. Other non pooh thoughts are nursery road or nursery moor.

Also after seeing the size of the main baseboard I am wondering if I have included enough track, but will wait to lay it all out before I decide as I am determined to leave space for scenery.
Milnwood Junction (albeit without the "e") is an actual place!! It is on the Motherwell to Coatbridge Line. Not sure if it is the sort of place you would want to model, a heavily industrialised area.

Track diagram here

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=661

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

luckymucklebackit wrote:
dubbleojon wrote:Regarding layout name I have been pondering on a winnie the pooh theme

Milnwood Junction (albeit without the "e") is an actual place!! It is on the Motherwell to Coatbridge Line. Not sure if it is the sort of place you would want to model, a heavily industrialised area.

Track diagram here

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=661

Jim
Definitely not going down a Scottish industrial theme so best avoid that one then ....
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

Made a bit of progress in the last few days and this weekend, baseboard construction has finished!!
The lift out section took me ages to get right, still needs some clasps or similar to fix it in place, going to wakefield exhibition next weekend so hopefully pick something up there if not have seen some on the web.

A few pictures....

The viaduct section

The view down the main scenic board

Just the small task of varnishing them all now before starting on laying cork. Anybody ever varnished with a roller :lol:
luckymucklebackit

I would think twice before varnishing, by all means varnish the legs and front of the layout but I would not attempt to varnish the top surface. When you go to glue the cork underlay down the varnish does not allow a good "key" into the wood and there is a good chance the cork will fail to stick. If you want to protect the wood give it a coat of dilute PVA before starting track laying.

Jim
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

How dilute would the pva need to be? I am planning on covering the whole board with cork so i can cut out for the buildings so they sink in a little bit if that makes any difference.
luckymucklebackit

Hi - if you are covering the whole top with cork, dont bother with any preparation, just coat with a thin layer of neat PVA and apply the cork.

Jim
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

cheers for the advice, saved me a big job varnishing that lot.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

dubbleojon wrote:The lift out section took me ages to get right, still needs some clasps or similar to fix it in place, going to wakefield exhibition next weekend so hopefully pick something up there if not have seen some on the web.
Tons of different clasps on a well known auction site.

Or you could look at the ones on Station Road Baseboards site: Link