Zinnroda (Thür.) - German N gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mika

Zinnroda (Thür.) - German N gauge

Post by mika »

Hi everyone,

thought I'd start a thread on my German layout.

Zinnroda is a (fictional) spa town in the German state of Thuringia. It is served by an single track main line. As the town itself is located on a hill, the station is quite far from the centre in the valley below. As the valley it quite narrow, it was impossible to build a double track when it became obvious that the number of trains had to be increased. The only other option was to electrify the line.
The branch line that begins in Zinnroda is not electrified and has been served by steam engines until well into the 1980's. During that period the station is served by local trains to Erfurt and Weimar (where I was born), expresses to Berlin, the Baltic Sea and the Czech Republic.

So much for the story. Some of it is pretty unlikely, but then again: It's my railway!
This is the track plan (made using SCARM):

And in 3D (again using SCARM):

Construction started some years ago, but progress has been slow - mainly because I was was afraid to do anything scenic-wise. After all, this could well ruin the layout :oops: . Well, this is actually why I started Sudbury-on-Sea; to try out some techniques. After that was done (reasonably well, I might add 8) ) I gathered the courage to proceed on Zinnroda (not without ever new ideas for British layouts, but that's a different story).
Okay, so this is where the layout is ATM:

View from the station building towards the Erfurt end of the station with the water tower, a steam operated branch line service and a diesel-hauled express.

DR class 95 tank at the (still unfinished) signal box.

DR class 132 diesel on shed.

Class 95 in a goods siding with a short freight.

The platforms are under construction ATM. I use Auhagen platform edges and 1mm cardboard. This will eventually be painted.

The wooden huts are the access to the platform subway. They are built from coffee stirrers from Potsdam university's cafeteria.

Diesel-hauled double-deck local passes the water tower on its way to Erfurt.

And the last one for today shows my control panel. The box was actually built by my father-in-law as were the baseboards (thanks for that); switches and paintwork by me.

Hope, you like it. Not sure whether progress will be fast as there are a lot of diversions (children, job, Sudbury 8) ).
Anyway, comments are always welcome.

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'
haeckmaen

Re: Zinnroda (Thür.) - German N gauge

Post by haeckmaen »

Hi Michael,

I've seen such engines before :) All the best for your latest project. It's always a good idea to avoid oversized projects and to go down for smaller ones which may well once seriously reach the state of completition.

According to your chosen prototype, I thought this might be a very inspirational source for your project: http://www.blauthermik-rostock.de/Model ... richt.html

All "blauthermik"-pages are usually containing great stuff in N gauge. They are also featuring the best tutorial for improving the general appearence of Fleischmann track I am aware of.

More stunning DR inspiration may be found here: http://www.raw-sonneberg.de/

Grüße, Matthias
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Looking good :)

As usual it's the detail/unusual features that catch my eye:

How did you make this plate bottom right - 'Bw Potsdam' ? It looks very authentic :)
mika

Post by mika »

Hi guys,

@Matthias: Thanks for the links. Some very nice modeling there. I'll have to take a look at how to improve the track. I probably wouldn't choose Fleischmann track again as I noticed working on Sudbury that ballasting isn't as hard as I thought. One thing I learned working on a small layout.

@Mark: The plate is a replica I bought at the Innotrans a few years back. They probably make them in bulks and sell them at every railway event they can attend. But living in Potsdam, I just had to have one; although Potsdam shed (Bw Potsdam) has been closed and demolished decades before my birth :oops: .

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers, Michael

amsie

Post by amsie »

Nice, reminds me of my first Minitrix N gauge layout my dad bought me when I was 14,

2nd layout German N gauge??? hmmmm don't tempt me :-)
mika

Post by mika »

Hi everyone,

progress has not ground to a halt; it just became very, very slow due to the arrival of our fifth family member ten days ago. She keeps me busy so not much has been done on either Zinnroda nor Sudbury.
I managed, however, to get on with the platforms of Zinnroda. They were made using Auhagen platform edges with a cardbord surface. As the platforms are quite long (at least in comparison with the length of cardboard I had available :roll: ) pieces of cardboard had to be combined. I then glued them onto paper to hide the joins. Unfortunately the glue made the paper all wobbly which really didn't look good. I tried to rip it off again, but lost against the glue at most parts :shock: .
When I looked at it again the next day, I realised that it actually didn't look too bad. The partly ripped-off paper made for a nice uneven surface structure which gave the impression of old, neglected concrete. So I painted it grey and I think it looks good. 8)

But see for youself:

Bird's eye view of the left part of the station.

A short freight hauled by a V60 shunter and an express at the island platforms 3 and 4. The foreground shows the end of platforms 1 and 2.

Detail of the end of platform 2 with a class 95 tank engine that has arrived with a branch line service.

Lightweight DMU class 172 leaves platform 1a. This photo shows the cut-out section I made to leave the point motors free. The motor itself will be covered by some sort of small scenic section that can be taken off for servicing.

02 0201-0 with the express on platform 4. The engine is ATM claimed to be the fasted operational steam engine in the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR_18_201).

The platforms still look a bit wobbly. That's due to them not yet being glued down. Hope to get that done in the near future. But prior to that I have to make some stairs for the platform access tunnel.
Anyway, that's where I am right now. Have to see how things work out with little Miss Sunshine and work at the university (Term is over soon so I think I'll have a bit more time for modelling 8) ).
amsie wrote:hmmmm don't tempt me :)
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it." (Oscar Wilde) :lol:

Please, feel free to comment.

Michael

markh

Post by markh »

love the layout it adds a bit of a twist to fourm correct me if im wrong but i havent seen many forign layouts on here .i was going got run american trains on my old layout had loco but no trucks now i have trucks but no loco but it is a craking layout & i love the 132 diesel & the 02 0201-0 loco
keep up the great work & i carnt wait to see the finshed layout

mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS
mika

Post by mika »

madmack wrote:i carnt wait to see the finshed layout
Cheers, Mark, neither can I. I'm sure, however, that it will be a while until I can finally (it's been in the making for more than three years now :shock: ) call it finished.

I did actually manage to add stairs to the tunnel entrances so that I can glue the platform down somewhere in the near future. Taking todays photos I realised that I have to tidy up the platform edges :oops: .

Although it doesn't show in the photos, platforms 1 and 2 got stairs as well. They were made from cardboard strips.

I admit that I didn't get too much done but the little missus keeps us busy :wink: .

Michael

mika

Post by mika »

Hi everyone,

when I had a testing session 8) I realised that platforms 1 and 2 were too close to the rails as a few wagons touched the platform edges :evil: . So, I had to remove the platform edges again and narrow the surface a little. That's not really what I call fun. Anyway, after that procedure the wagons kept clear of the platforms which could then finally be stuck down. The pictures don't actually show a difference to the ones taken when not yet glued down, so I thought I show at least some different (modern) stock:

Class 114 with double-deck push-pull service.

ICE at platform 4.

Overall view with (from left to right) ICE, mixed freight hauled by a multi-voltage class 189, class 642 DMU and the 114 with her double-deck local service.

That's all for now.
Comments are always welcome.

Michael

mika

Post by mika »

Hi everyone,

just a short post to let you know that I haven't given up and to show you my latest addition:

A Thuringian 641 DMU. It even has internal lighting :o .

Nothing else done on the layout. Hope that changes soon, though.

All the best
Michael