Wales - Switzerland 009 Connection!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TJGoode

Wales - Switzerland 009 Connection!

Post by TJGoode »

I'm a complete beginner to building model layouts, especially to building locos!
My Dad was a trainspotter and was building a big layout in his parent's house when he suddenly went off and married my Mum and forgot about it!
Now there's just a ruin of a never quite completed railway in my Grandparent's house in Llanrumney Cardiff, where we come from.

Years later, after they had my sister and me, moved to Switzerland, had two more girls (my younger sisters - obviously) when I was about ten, my Dad started planning to build a model railway for him and me in the attic of our flat in Zurich.
He bought me my first loco - a GWR King Class (in BR green).
That railway didn't get past the planning phase though, as we moved house twice in the following three years.

Then my Dad had a very ambitious plan for a massive layout in are much larger holiday house in the Bernese area.
He bought loads of locos - GWR of course! (a Castle Class, County Class ["Denbigh County" I believe], Saint Class ["Saint David"], a Class 2800, a few Prairies, a Dean Goods, a few typical GWR Panniers and a lot of other engines.
Loads of coal trucks (Berthlwyd, Kilely, Bute, Evans&Bevans, Tradegar, etc) which we made nice and dirty and filled with our own "coal" (cardboard with cork "gravel" that we painted black)
Quite a few passenger coaches (for all are GWR express locos) and one autocoach to go at the front of a little suburban train.
He got everything digitalised, soldered a chip into every loco he bought.
He planned all kinds of things. A siding with a slate quarry (he partially completed that - with real Welsh slate from just north of Tanygrisau!!!), a coal mine (obviously!!!) for which he bought a fully functional sort of coal transporting cable car!, of course beautiful hills with sheep!, and we built quite a few big girder bridges (sprayed them iron and made them nice and rusty in places).
He'd already completed the main trackbed, put down the cork and the track for main line, put in gravel ballast (cork) and had already put in the spirals for the trains to climb to the higher levels, built most of the first hill with a flock of sheep and some trees (looked really nice!)...
Saddly the whole project was too ambitious, and eventually progress came to a standstill (especially when we started renting our holiday house to holiday makers from Britain, some of whom would sometimes damage the railway)...
My Mom got more and more tired of it, and three weeks ago, my Dad, after years of resisting, took it down. I'm glad I wasn't there.

After we started renting our house in Berne out, I lost interest in the railway (to keep myself from desparing is my theory) as it was making backward progress.
Since then I haven't really been very interested in railways much.
Until I got to know my girlfriend's younger brother better.
He's a total railway enthusiast (Swiss of course), actually runs scale 1:5 (or something) steam locos just outside of Zurich (and once a year in the old city centre!!!), has a garden railway (LGT), an N gauge railway (Swiss mountains!) and some H0 (AC) and H0m stock.
His Dad is building a nice long stretch of H0m Rhaetian Railway (famous Swiss 3tf narrow gauge) and is putting a great effort into detail. It's just single track (except for the one station), built into modules, and looks extremely like the real thing! He's even soldered the overhead electricity wires!

Anyway, all this is cool, but wasn't enough to get me back into modelling...

Then his (and my girlfriend's - obviously) parents wanted his English to improve, so they wanted me to try and persuade him to go to my relatives to learn English (funny Swiss people sending their kids to Wales to improve their English! :D)
He didn't want to, but I, being Welsh, found my argument.
During our "Walk across Wales" with my Mum and Dad I'd been on the Ffestiniog and The Talyllyn. I'd also been on the Brecon Mountain Railway, and knew Wales had a few more.
I made a little advertising brochure, advertising Wales for Tourists particularly interested in Steam Trains.
On Wikipedia I learnt there were loads!!!
In the end him and me started getting really excited, especially about seeing Double Fairlies and Garratts!
I made some inquiries with relatives, and booked flights.
Then I started looking into Arriva Trains to Portmadog...

More and more often I found myself browsing the Hornby website at work.
When I showed my young friend (my girlfriend's brother) the Live Steam locos on the Hornby website, we got totally excited and bought one ("Seagull" - I like the garter blue A4s but everyone has the "Mallard"!!!) online!
We couldn't wait till it arrived.

In the meantime, we found out my Dad (and the rest of my family) were to be home (in Wales) at the same time as us, and when my Dad heard of my rough plans for North Wales, he got very interested too, looked into it, and got planning!
In the end we had a really cool, well planned trip (with lots of possibilities for spontanious trip alterations) in North Wales, starting off with a five hour trip from Cardiff to Porthmadog (Arriva - the freedom of Wales pass is so cool!!! But man, I can get from Zurich to Paris by train in 4.5 hours!!!) then Porthmadog to Blaenau and back, drawn by "Merddin Emrys" (passed "DLG" in Minffordd). We visited Boston Lodge to get some photos too.
Next day we caught the bus to Llanberis, were pushed up to the third highest stop (too windy to go higher) by "Enid" (like all Snowdon Mountain Railway steam engines built in Winterthur!), where we stayed to take photos of the next few engines. Then we climbed almost to the top (wasn't worth going to the top and being stuck in a freezing dark cloud again like five years earlier!) and ran down the Snowdon Ranger path to catch the WHR train an hour earlier than planned. We took NG/G16 "87" to Dinas where we took a look at "K1", "137 Milleniwm", a few NGG15s and another NGG16 in pieces. "Vale of Ffestiniog" was there too.
Stupidly I got a piece of sharp coal grit in my eye on the return to Beddgelert and couldn't see anything (with either eye) until it was removed at Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor!
Next day we still had some time in Porthmadoc so we took a ride on the WHR Porthmadog's "Gelert" (very cute line) and took a look in their museum (massive Romanian giants!). I hope they'll be able run trains on the finished line from Porthmadog to Beddgelert!
Then, on the return journey to Cardiff, we stopped at Tywyn, took a ride on the Talyllyn ("Tom Rollt") and visited their museum.

My girlfriend's brother and I visited some more Steam related sites throughout Wales (Pwll Mawr and Blaenavon Railway) and England (Swindon Works and "Rocket" at Science Museum) before returning home, but especially the Ffestiniog left marks (the WHR left a mark on my left eye!)

Later that year it was my young friends confirmation and I wanted to buy him something special - I looked everywhere for a ready to run model of a double fairlie...
When I found none at a sensible price in a sensibly small scale I found the 009 kits at Backwoods. I bought him one as I knew he'd already built himself a Live Steam Garden Railways engine.
Then I bought my Dad one for his birthday two weeks later.
I didn't realise they'd be that hard! Ooops!!! What a newb I am!!! :-)

Ah well, I'm confident they'll be completed, at least my friend can! It'll just take time.

Eventually, I couldn't resist to start on 009 scale as well, and got myself some simpler whitemetal kits and N Gauge chassis.

I've started building stock now (FR), and am forming plans for my first layouts (extremely simple ones, having learnt a lot from tragedies!) in my head.

Will post status of my stock and eventually layouts as follows...
Last edited by TJGoode on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bord3r

Re: Wales - Switzerland 009 Connection!

Post by Bord3r »

Interesting to see a 009 layout take shape, good luck with the project
Oxbury Junction Modern Image (00) http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24412

Anatidaephobia — the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

@Bord3r: Thanks! I'll be starting EXTRA SMALL AND SIMPLE!!!

Caw!!! That post was a mouthfull!
"My wife says I could talk for Wales!" :-)

Now for some posts of my stock:

FR Baguely Drewry "Harlech Castle" built from a Chivers kit is finished (except for railing)
Its yellow line is pretty askew...

FR Semi-open Coach 37 is also finished:
Both "HC" and coach 37 could do with their Bemo couplings being painted black...

You can spot the edge of "Prince" in both photos, which is nearly finished, but waiting for me to complete a smoke generator...
Also it has some awful weight distribution problems (does wheelies!!!).
I will post more photos soon...
Last edited by TJGoode on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

An interesting read !

I'm a fellow Welshman, and I visited Zurich last year. Fabulous city, me and the mrs thoroughly enjoyed it. I found a great little model railway shop, in one of the side streets off from the main street where the river goes. They even had some Bachmann OO stuff !

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your progress !
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Welshmen aren't that common in Zurich! :-)
Except during the Six Nations in the Oliver Twist Pub!!! :-)

Where exactly is this model shop you mean?
The one I usually order stuff at is awful! Their service is pathetic! I only just received an order of 009/H0e Bemo couplings I ordered almost 4 months ago and I'm still waiting for 009/H0e semi-isolated achsels/wheels to put lighting in my coaches...
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

My only complete kits so far...
Notice the light I built into "Harlech Castle"
Last edited by TJGoode on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Great to see some more 009 on here.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Which chassis are you using on Prince? I used the Fleischmann on mine and had to make a lot of adjustments before the body sat at the right height and didn't as you say do wheelies! The tender helps to balance the loco as it's fairly heavy. You could also try to put some weight in the front of the loco.

I also have the Harlech Castle loco and the semi open coach :)
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Fleischmann too!
Man that needed awful alterations!!!

I'm hoping the tender will help stabilise it, but I don't know how I can make the front heavier, the smoke generator will take some space (and isn't heavy at all!!!), but I'll have to see onece I've actually added it.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

No idea where that model shop was exactly I'm afraid. The Mrs cant even remember going in there.. maybe I imagined it :)
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Morituri te salutant!
From left to right:
- Fleischmann 0-4-0 bought for £50.00 brand new, already altered to fit Prince
- Bachmann GP40 bought new for £25.00, for Langley's Double Fairlie
- Fleischmann 0-4-0 found second hand for 29.00 Swiss francs and thought I couldn't turn down a bargain like that, needs to be rewired as it runs the wrong way!!!, might use it for Parkside Dundas "Linda" or "Blanche"
- Graham Farish Class 08 bought new for £45, altered to fit Chivers "Harlech Castle"
- Graham Farish Class 91 bought new for £49, for Worsley Works "Vale of Ffestiniog"

Good thing I don't like N Gauge so much, or I wouldn't feel too easy about killing these!

A well, Caesar has higher priorities...
Last edited by TJGoode on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

@DrStroganoff: That's okay. Anyway, tomorrow (if I've got time) I'm off to buy the track for my first layout!
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Prince
Chimney and smokebox door aren't attached. Awaiting construction of smoke generator...
The tender is not attached to the loco yet either.

And with an incomplete train featuring the coach 37 and coach 106 (awaiting semi-isolated metal achsels for coach-lighting; roof isn't attached yet, no windows, no people...)
Last edited by TJGoode on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Some more Rolling Stock in common with Clifton009 ;-)
Parkside Dundas Brake Van 10 and the fictional coach based on it:

And a close-up of Brake Van 10:
These also await metal achsels for coach lighting and is just temporarily put together for me to imagine the finished product.
Is it maybe to crowded in there? Maybe I'll put less people in there...
Last edited by TJGoode on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Just one more post before I get to bed...

More "people testing":

Before I complete my coaches, I like to test which passengers will sit where and what it will look like.
I keep buying loads of different sets of seated people (costs a fortune!!!)

Here's some shots of Coach 106 (Chris Veitch) being tested:
Last edited by TJGoode on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Nice paint job on the carriages 8)

It looks like you will have a nice loco line up :mrgreen:

I like the Worsley Works Funkey, but I think it will be too long for Llanclifton's tight corners? Have you any idea how long it is? I saw that Hattons have the farish 91 for £49.