"What If" N Gauge layout begins construction

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikeuk54

"What If" N Gauge layout begins construction

Post by mikeuk54 »

Well after coming up with plans I think will work I have now finished base board construction, (still room for change here) and proceeded to building the first obstacle which is the ramp leading up to the first bridge of the mainline station area. behind this station will be a viaduct running the entire length of that station area.

Plans.

Ramp leading up to viaduct:

End of ramp before after crossing over mailine to viaduct:

Exit end of mainline station and where the viaduct will cross back over mainline:

Thanks for looking.
Comments always welcome. :wink: 8)
Mike
Last edited by mikeuk54 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale_the_noob

Re: New N Gauge begins construction

Post by Dale_the_noob »

Looks good, the only thing to watch out is the return loop from the terminus going under the main line to join the loop, you may need to go up on the mainlines from the terminus to get enough clearance without having steep gradiants, but you have loads of track after that so it shouldn't be a problem
Tank

Post by Tank »

A great start and your plan looks very good and well thought out - I have never got the hang of the software to make the layout plans! :oops: :lol:
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

nice start, shall be keeping my eye on this thread :)
mikeuk54

Post by mikeuk54 »

Dale_the_noob wrote:Looks good, the only thing to watch out is the return loop from the terminus going under the main line to join the loop, you may need to go up on the mainlines from the terminus to get enough clearance without having steep gradiants, but you have loads of track after that so it shouldn't be a problem
Thanks for the comments Guys.
I have been scratching my head over this one. This is what I have decided to do:

Now the return loop can take a very gentle upward slop to the terminus, it will also lend itself very nicely to some nice terrain modelling. Perhaps I could model a little halt somewhere on the return loop?
I have still to place some sidings down with the mainline station. Somethings I am not showing as yet because I will need to purchase a number of points for the complete project. This first part should give me the main bones of the layout along with the return loop. The Terminus will be an on-going project over many many months! :D I probably will only have the two main lines going in for the time being.

Still that will be the fun part, watching it grow. I'm under pressure from one of the Grandsons to get some track laid so he can see the trains! :shock: :lol:

Thanks for looking
Comments appreciated
Mike
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

That's a monster layout! I'll stay tuned to this thread. Good luck with it!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
barks

Post by barks »

hi & welcome,

you could fit my layout into the hole in the middle! :shock:

and they say size dosent matter....

looks great, good luck,

my grandson (2 yesterday) sits and shouts frain! frain!, then by frain! when it goes past :D

he will sit doing that for 3 hours on youtube!

barks :D
My Layout so far...
mikeuk54

Post by mikeuk54 »

I have now completed the baseboard around the entire room! Also laid the track associated with the mainline through station.
I have just completed cutting out the shapes for the very long viaduct I will place along the entire length of this mainline station. (see pictures)

Left Side:

Right Side:

Full Length...Hmm not quite!:

I will now have to build the bed for this structure and of coarse in due time cover it with appropriate brick covering! I'm quite pleased at how it has turned out.

Comments always welcome
Thanks for looking
Mike
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Looks good keep up the good work!
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

i agree, keep these awesome updates coming, what era is this going to be based on?
ceejaydee

Post by ceejaydee »

This has the the potential to be an impressive layout, you are certainly lucky to have so much space to use.
...And WOW, that is going to be some viaduct :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

Looks promising, Keep up the good work!
Is there going to be a train line over the viaduct?
Regards, Jed
mikeuk54

Post by mikeuk54 »

allesclar wrote:i agree, keep these awesome updates coming, what era is this going to be based on?
Based in the steam age going into the electric/diesal era so both can be seen on the layout. I suppose 50's 60's time. I remember the steam engines when I was a boy and we used travel a lot so I got to see a lot of the country and the different livery's that were around at the time.
lmsrail wrote:Looks promising, Keep up the good work!
Is there going to be a train line over the viaduct?
Yes the viaduct will carry the twin main lines to the upper terminus...eventually. Scenary backdrop there will be built up area...a bit like the viaduct that connects the Lewes to Brighton line into Brighton station only that one is on a curve and is much taller.

Thanks for looking
Mike
mycerbera

Post by mycerbera »

That viaduct is gonna look fantastic when it's finished, it's HUGE! :D

Make sure you keep us posted with plenty of photos and tips on your progress but looking great so far :wink:
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

That is a truely monster viaduct....Something is telling me that this will be an awesome layout.

keep us updated with your progress, wishing you the best of luck.

"i wouldn't want to ballast that lot" he says with no envy at all. maybe just a little bit then...
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..