Ade's 00 Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dead Man's Handle

Ade's 00 Layout

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

This obviously can't be called a layout yet, but I wasn't sure where else to put it (I hope I can be forgiven for starting a thread here now :oops:). I still haven't decided on a plan so there aren't even any baseboards at the moment...

...but I have at least got started, with one very lonely building!

I had a layout when I was a kid, I guess more than 20 years ago, that my grandfather built for me. I never did any building on it, so this is really my first attempt at modelling (other than the odd Airfix kit even longer ago). Seeing my friend Andrew's (known as Grotland here) layout sparked my interest in scratchbuilding.

It's just a small 4mm scale building/ shed thingy (I know next to nothing about railways) based on a photo I found on a website.

I used Wills slate (which I butchered so much I maybe shouldn't have bothered) and brickwork. Everything else is bits of matchstick, balsa, styrene strip, card, etc. In future, I intend to check out what window kits and other bits and pieces are available, especially for brickwork above windows (which I found a bit of a pain to make out of balsa).

Thanks for looking :wink:

Oh, and any crit is welcomed :)

Ade
Last edited by Dead Man's Handle on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
Big Al

Re: Ade's Layout

Post by Big Al »

That is a great job you've done there. I started my layout last November and progress is really slow. Ive often thought would it have been better to do some thing small and just expand a bit at a time. Modules or a diorama maybe. Any way well done Ade.
Cheers Alan
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Very nice work, especially for a first attempt.
Any ideas where you want to go next, eg, a diorama which is more scenic/buildings rather than railway led - or do you think the railway bug will become equally strong ? Either way, keep posting pictures :)
santene

Post by santene »

Thats amazing especially the weathering and aging on the bricks and drain pipe and the windows how do you have the patiance?
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy
Dead Man's Handle

Thanks for the positive comments :)

Big Al - I have a plan I'm working on for a fairly big layout, but I intend to split it into modules somehow so I'm not too overwhelmed :) As I haven't firmly decided anything yet, I just wanted to make something that could really fit anywhere in order to see if I could get decent results and if I actually liked doing it.

SouthernBoy - I definitely intend for it to be railway led - My current plan is fairly track 'heavy'. I'd like to get started on a station building or a signal box, but I guess those will be rather dependant on my final plan and the approximate region my layout is supposed to represent - I still can't decide on that, so I think I must make my mind up soon :) The building above is based on one at Barnetby station which I thought I could fit in anywhere, even if it means repainting the bricks a different colour (they're actually more orange than they appear above in the very artificial light).

Santene - With this one it was probably less a case of patience and more a case of not knowing what to do next, so it didn't matter how long I took :) There's maybe also a bit of 'peer pressure' at work as well, as I've discussed modelling with Grotland quite a lot, and so need to reach a fairly high standard to try to avoid looking like an idiot :D
My bits and pieces

santene

Post by santene »

Dead Man's Handle wrote:need to reach a fairly high standard to try to avoid looking like an idiot :D
well you wont do!
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Greetings from Moscow my friend. The sheds looks amazing! You've worked wonders with the roof slates. Are you going to continue building with Wills sheet or are you changing to Slaters? Can't wait to see what you're going to build next. Make sure you take a lot of photos
1 lonely shed makes one home sick!
Dead Man's Handle

Cheers Andy :)

I'm not sure yet about Slaters vs. Wills - I still haven't had a go with the Slaters to see how it turns out for me.

The shed isn't lonely anymore anyhow as I've started making him a buddy - same again but only one window this time (yay!)

They're based on these: http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/Statio ... 180293.jpg

My layout is now the vast size of 2 inches by 9 inches.... :o

Ade
My bits and pieces

m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Nice buildings, 2" x 9" nice size :wink:
Dead Man's Handle

Building basically the same building again became a bit tedious, so I've started experimenting with the ground instead. I need a trip to the model shop for bits...

Hopefully not boring everyone to death - somehow it was a good few hours work for me :oops:
My bits and pieces

Bloody 'reet engine

Post by Bloody 'reet engine »

Ade that building looks ace. Better than the real thing especially since they have both been bulldozed quite recently. An inspection of Barnetby Station on Google Earth shows them quite plainly to the north of the line near the car park more recent photos show them gone leaving only the bases.

http://www.mikegtn.net/date.php?month=J ... ary%202006

You can just see them above the DMU on the picture. Shame you could have taken a trip out there and had a snoop around.

Will your next project be the buffer stop a few feet away?
Dead Man's Handle

Cheers mate,

Yeah I'd managed to work out that they've gone fairly recently - I'd found a photo that seems to be from 2004 that shows them there... any later ones and they'd vanished. Hadn't come across that one that shows just the bases in 2006 though - well found :)

It doesn't matter too much as it's not my intention to model Barnetby; they were just some small buildings I liked the look of and should be able to incorperate into whatever the layout ends up becoming (final plan is still a long way from decided). I probably ought to get some track before I start with anything like buffer stops! I haven't totally decided between OO, EM, or P4 gauge yet, so I'm a bit limited...

Next project will probably be something like this lamp hut (this one is on the GCR):

I bought a OO Wills lamp hut kit, which currently looks like this:

... I'm not too happy with it though, as the dimensions seem a bit strange to me. It's more like HO scale perhaps. I calculate its maximum height (in the middle) would be 6', and the height of the door 5' 4". Perhaps these huts can be so tiny, but to me it looks silly next to my scratchbuilt buildings - the tops of the doors of those are higher than the roof of this building. I will probably use the kit, but with major surgery...
My bits and pieces

Dead Man's Handle

Like I said, I wasn't that happy with the lamp hut kit, but luckily the kit includes two lamphuts, so it was fairly easy to use bits from the second one to build a slightly bigger lamp hut :)

Here's what I did:

Extended the height a few mm (as you can see from the crude joins shown in the photos).
Extended length of the roof so it has an overhang (the kit was more flush and I didn't like the way it looked).
Removed part of the window frame (to replace with vertical frames).
Cut out the door to hang it from the other side (not sure why, just preferred it! and to make it less recessed).
Changed the hinge design so the mountings are visible on the 'wall' part.
Raised the height of the vent thingy and increased the diameter below the top bit.
Couldn't resist having it eaten by rust a little around the bottom and showing the wooden frame peeping through...

... and here it is after painting:

Cheers,

Ade
My bits and pieces

SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

I really like your work Ade. The rust-eaten detail at the base of the hut is a very nice observation. I think you could set up a successful cottage industry there :)
Seeing as you don't have a layout or plans yet - will you experiment with building in other scales - or are you set on 00 ?

And any thoughts on a space for a layout or anything else layout related yet ?
Dead Man's Handle

Thanks Southernboy, I really like your work too :)

A cottage industry is a lovely idea, but if I paid myself minimum wage then I'd have to somehow find people who are willing to pay £200 for a lineside hut! :shock:

I did have plans (XTrkCAD + Illustrator), which I would have probably posted by now, but my computer died and the plans were one of the things that I'd neglected to backup :oops: I haven't gotten around to redrawing them yet (luckily I do have some printouts). The plan in its most recent state was about 11' x 4'... so should only take me about 200 years to complete at my current rate of progress :lol:

I guess I'm pretty much tied-in to 4mm now (although not sure if that'll be OO, EM, or p4 yet). I thought about N for a long time, but I think it's just too small for me to work how I want to. Just in terms of size, 3mm would probably be my favourite, but then I'd have to scratchbuild 99% of the locos I want, which would possibly be a bit of a tall order...

Unfortunately things are very 'up in the air' at the moment regarding work and where I might be able to afford to live, etc... so filling a room with a layout right now probably isn't the best idea :( (hasn't stopped me tayloring the plan to fit around the chimney breast where I am now though... hehe.) The idea at the moment is to start with a smallish section, once I've worked out how to split things up.

Ade
My bits and pieces