Simons OO garage set

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Watercress

Simons OO garage set

Post by Watercress »

Hi all, I'd like to share my plans for my model railway I have started building in the garage. The garage itself is 16' x 8' with an up and over door at one end and an access door at the other.

The set will be built in 00 gauge using code 75 peco flexible track. Though I have no controllers yet, I have opted to go for digital.

Though initially I had planned to base my railway on the south Devon coast I feel there is not nearly enough room for what I would like to see so the only theme is 1980s to present. Of more importance to me is having numerous engines running simultaneously so after a great deal of planning I have decided upon 4 complete circuits, two of which are double loops rising 10cm to the upper level (green background in plan)

All corners will have minimum radius of 24" with the exception of the loop (purple track in my plan) as there will only be enough room for approx 20" radius. Inclines will be no steeper than 1 in 30 with minimal curves along the way. Engines will be pulling maximum 6 carriages so hopefully no problems here.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff15 ... ayplan.jpg

I have constructed the base with sundeala on top of 6mm ply extending 3' from all walls so plenty of space for track. Surprisingly the 2' wide central area gives adequate space to work from!
The layout has taken accessibility into consideration so all track can be cleaned with a track rubber if necessary.

Though I just started to construct a 10' x 10' set in a shed at my last house this could be classed as my first real attempt. What could possibly go wrong?
The set will no doubt evolve during construction so all feedback/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Simon
peak

Post by peak »

Welcome to the forum!
You're plan looks quite ambitious.
As I model 1970's - 1980's I will watch your progress with interest.
I also wish you the best of luck, and may all your problems with the future construction be overcome with a little help from the members on this site!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk
B@rney

Post by B@rney »

Wow, now thats a nice plan, making use of every available space (much like me, I prefer track and trains to fields and cows)

What method of control are you going to employ? as you have some major reversing loops in there i notice.
boyofbears

Post by boyofbears »

very intriging!! :D nice plan.
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=17368 new!!!
Watercress

Post by Watercress »

I will definately be going for DCC though as of yet unsure which controller to go for. I will wait for more reviews over the Hornby elite and Bachmann dynamis and maybe choose one of them.

Heres a picture taken during construction of the baseboards. My dad would like nothing better than to appear in here!

Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Yes very nice plan and big too!

The concentration there in the photo of the master craftsman at work.....puts us all to shame......

Good luck with it,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

When you have finished with you dad send him around here got a few jobs for him. Whats he like with a paint brush? :wink:

Your track plan is very good, can't wait to see some running locos.

good plan with going Dcc :wink:
B@rney

Post by B@rney »

Dcc def best option, makes reverse loops so much easier with just a few insulators and a module thingy.. no more worrying about short circuits
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

hi and welcome to the forum
nice looking garage space you have to work in
it would be worth painting those walls before you get into the track laying stage, and the baseboards come to think of it. i know i wish i'd had the patience to paint things before laying track in my attic, will you be using a underlay such as cork?
and once painted, when you then get to laying your excellent track plan you don't have to lift it to paint underneath
michael
Kirton Fen

Post by Kirton Fen »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forums!

It's good to see some more people going DCC, myself included!

Have you thought about DCC Sound, definetly something to get into!

Chris :D
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

I must admit I like the whole Dcc sound idea. It would be better having sound in some steam locos, hence why I am looking in to it :D (fingers crossed)
Watercress

Post by Watercress »

Took a couple more pics today as the sun was shining.

As you can see the platform side is almost complete. I need to change the medium point for a Y Point where it enters platform 2 to remove the horrible wiggle.

Thanks for your comments so far.

mumbles: I wish I had thought to paint the walls before starting construction. Thankfully the framework is quite solid so I can clamber on it to reach the walls.
I need to insulate the roof area as well but want to make sure there are no leaks through the winter before doing so.

The track is already built on sundeala/old notice boards so cork is not required. All scenery will go over the top of this.

Kirton Fen: I promised myself not to buy any more engines until the track is laid. I was fortunate enough to be in the Alton model shop and see a demonstration of a class 47 with sound and its a must have. Maybe treat myself for Christmas!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

You and Your dad has done well.
Have you finished with him yet, what's he like with a paint brush. :wink:
Watercress

Post by Watercress »

Unfortunately he was only here for a few days to get me started.
And yes, he is great with a paintbrush and more than welcome to stop by and help me redecorate!

Well the last few days I have been trying to get the garage prepared for a long cold winter.
There are 3/4" gaps round the garage door which needed filling. Up the side I put some foam between 2 lines of wood, making a perfect seal with the door closed.

I also stuck some foam above the door which easily plugged that gap.
Screwfix sell a "garage draught and rain seal" which I will attach to the bottom of the door. A good opportunity to buy a cordless drill as well!

Also made a start on insulating the roof.

Maybe next week I will get to work on putting some more track down...
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

hi
must have missed those track pics, look great. also good to see the insulation job being done.. lots of work that will reap rewards
michael