Farish class 14

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
champion

Farish class 14

Post by champion »

Just recieved one of these in green weathered.I have got to add what a beauty of a loco and well done farish.Runs better than the 08.The only blemish is that in this days tech has no headcode lights fitted but a real gem.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.
locoworks

Re: Farish class 14

Post by locoworks »

where did you get it from?? i have been waiting for these to hit the shops :D
champion

Post by champion »

Trains4u peterborough.in stock from friday,also hattons have them in.

richard.
Attachments
new farish weathered class 14
new farish weathered class 14
Picture 320.jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

sweeeeet :mrgreen:
champion

Post by champion »

Please note that the class 14 is dc only as many i have heard have been caught out on this.Other than this is a well made loco.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

champion wrote:Please note that the class 14 is dc only as many i have heard have been caught out on this.Other than this is a well made loco.
richard.
it is only DC till someone fits a chip?? i guess there is little to no space for a chip going by your post?? or do you mean it has no 6 pin socket??
Nathan20138

Post by Nathan20138 »

I'm really considering owning one of these. The picture you posted has more or less made my mind up.

Is one available in BR blue weathered do you know?

Nathan.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=33379
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Nathan20138 wrote:Is one available in BR blue weathered do you know?
Nope, but it shouldn't be difficult to DIY. The November issue of BRM has a good article about 'quick fix weathering'.

G.
champion

Post by champion »

Just a basic model for dc and no 6pin socket.Looking at it inside it would be hard as with the 08 as so little space.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

champion wrote:Just a basic model for dc and no 6pin socket.Looking at it inside it would be hard as with the 08 as so little space.
richard.
the 08 was easier than the 04 as there was much more room in the cab. in my head if the guts are similar to the heljan OO version then the only spare space will be the cab itself, and only the top half?? but i will wait and see.
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

got my 14 on the way with a couple of DCC chips. hopefully i will sus the fitting of one and report back?? if i get things sussed in good time i may even send off an article to the NGS as discussed in that thread.
olliereading1123

Post by olliereading1123 »

I bought myself the blue 14 today and i seem to be having problems. It seems to be a very jumpy runner unless at very high speed ( even after an hour each way) I can't work out what seems to be causing it other than the body doesn't appear to be on straight. Anyone else had this problem??

Ollie
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

I've just got my new class 14 and it seems like Bachmann QC has taken a dive - it has big sploshes of black paint on the wheel treads, blobs of glue on the
sandboxes, missaligned brake blocks, a bowed out coupling rod and the rod retaining pin on one wheel sitting twice as proud as the others. Perhaps it's a friday afternoon jobbie. I'm almost to afraid to test run it. :(

G.
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

Grahame wrote:I've just got my new class 14 and it seems like Bachmann QC has taken a dive - it has big sploshes of black paint on the wheel treads, blobs of glue on the
sandboxes, missaligned brake blocks, a bowed out coupling rod and the rod retaining pin on one wheel sitting twice as proud as the others. Perhaps it's a friday afternoon jobbie. I'm almost to afraid to test run it. :(

G.
don't bother, send it back for replacement and get the vendor to open the box and check it before dispatching the replacement.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

locoworks wrote:don't bother, send it back for replacement and get the vendor to open the box and check it before dispatching the replacement.
Yep, normally you'd be right about sending it back for replacement - that way the manufacturer gets to know how bad things are. However, it's easy enough to clean the paint off the wheel treads and probably sort out the coupling rods, plus the blobs of glue are underneath and will be disguised when weathered. The problem is that currently there are so many locos (3mTs, class 14s, etc) being reported as dodgy and being sent back that it is obvious that the majority of new ones are poorly finished in one way or another and the replacement is almost more likely to be worse than better. It all rather depends on how the thing runs and I won't know that until I test it later this week.

G.