Time for another competition?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Time for another competition?

Post by flying scotsman123 »

The last time we had a competition we had was in 2012 and didn't really happen, it's now winter 2015, prime time for modelling with dark evenings, perfect. I think it would be nice to have a competition to get as many people modelling as possible, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I was thinking it would be good to allow it to be part of a modeller's larger layout if he wished, so as to allow those people who want to get on with their layouts to take part too? Nothing too big as that's where the last competition failed I think, so, any thoughts?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
David68

Re: Time for another competition?

Post by David68 »

Cracking idea, I will get my thinking cap on.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

On this forum we have the widest possible range of skills, from total beginners to guys like Jim S-W, for the competition to be worthwhile would it not be appropriate to have it divided up into categories depending on skill and experience.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
flying scotsman123

I guess that would depend on how many people are taking part Jim, 3 skill categories with only a couple in each say wouldn't be worthwhile. Besides, there's no reason why a beginner can't.compete against someone with more experience in some things, I've been pretty pleased with most of my first attempts.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

I like the idea of a competition. Luckymuclkebackit makes a good point but how do you divide expertise into categories?

Other questions to ponder would be:

Who votes on the entries? All participants? An elected judging panel?
What time scale does the competition run for? 1 month, 2 or longer?
We all hit blips in our modelling due to outside influences. Does a proposed model have to be finished?

Paul
flying scotsman123

That's why I'm unsure about categories Paul, how do you split it? In the past anyone who wants to votes in a poll, with a gentleman's agreement not to vote for oneself of course. Timescale depends on what we decide the competition to be, but definitely no more than a couple of months, otherwise people will lose interest and the project's probably going to be getting to big if anything longer than that is needed for completion. Certainly uncompleted projects can be entered, perhaps if each entry was judged against a set of criteria with completeness just being one aspect?

The main thing is deciding what to do! Any suggestions?
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

As was fairly forcibly pointed out to me a couple of weeks back the purpose of this forum is laid out in the second line of the banner headline of this site. Thus putting a new starter's Metcalfe kit station building up against the O gauge brass loco built by a forum member with 40 years experience (presumably still a forum member to dispense advice to new railway modelers) is something of an anomaly?

A competition to get people modeling is a great idea and it would be useful to see the views of the Administrators and Moderators early in this thread.

As someone who is currently having some doubts as to wether 15 months of approximately 30 hours per week of modeling still qualifies someone as a new railway modeler, my own thinking on this competition would be to aim it at an age range not typical of the majority of the entrance queue for Warley. Make it a youth competition and let others suggest what age limit constitutes youth. The rest of us can be judges via a forum vote.
flying scotsman123

I think restricting who can take part is not the way to go, from past experience you never get a huge amount anyway. There's some fantastic work done by both new and old modellers alike. Again, experience is another thing that could be taken account of in judging.

To get the ball rolling, how about a scratch building competition? Everyone has to scratch build a building based on a real place. This could then be a stand alone model or be something for a member's main layout? Open to other thoughts, and if people would prefer to do a small diorama thing with a theme instead that would be fine too, but typically less people want to commit to that.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thinking outside of the box.
Instead of a competition to get people modelling as seem's the original idea, what about a "My pride of the month".
A single photo of your own most proud modelling that you had managed that month wether it be a scratch built structure, kit built wagon, weathering, a first attempt or even just a very nice view from your layout that you have managed to catch.
Splitting into months would then create catorgories and this would not cause pressure to rush finishing something your not quite happy with.
Obviously it would work retrospectively.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

It seems to me that whatever is built can be split into three categories; kit built, kit bashing or scratch building. Sub categories of this could be; locos, rolling stock, buildings or dioramas - small or large scale. Maybe by making these sub categories the theme anyone who wants to enter can select said category and if there is enough interest after a designated period the competition begins in that category. Other category's could start at the same time or later as participants come on board.

I do like end2ends idea of a monthly photograph under the banner 'My Pride Of The Month' as a secondary regular feature.

Paul
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Like the idea of a competition, can't say I will find the time but willing to try (depending on topic) either way would watch with interest!

I can see the issues with splitting it down to categories as we may not have enough in each, similar issue with the time frame a month sounds like a good limit depending on the topic!

If you kept the topics unspecific it might help attract more interest?

For example
1 - model a train ( entires have to put together a train, leaving era etc upto the player and how they go about it as well - ie kit built, RTR, steam, goods, passenger etc etc) - points can then be awww reed for the way it's been done and the presentation (ie kit build = more skill = more points)

2- general model kit build (fairly even playing ground and open to any type of model)

3- electronics - lights, sound, fancy DCC things etc

4- painting - re paint a model in new livery et

5- weathering?

6- corner of your layout start to finish

7- something you haven't done before

8- match a photo using models

9- design a layout for user X who has specific needs

10- photo competition - showing off something model related as best you can
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

11 - we vote / set a kit and everyone builds the same one (this has worked well on the Airfix tribute forum)

even better if the New modellers shop buy them in bulk and give us a good price :wink: :wink: :lol:

this could work out well as you can have buildings / rolling stock / locos & more
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

sorry for double posting

another idea - we all chose an old model and refurbish it, i am thinking old Tri-ang models such as the 0-4-0 'Polly' for example
VerdevaleRailway

Post by VerdevaleRailway »

Hello, may I wade in here with some ruminations? :o

Whilst the following is written in the "emphatic", it is just a suggested framework:

Rename it as a challenge. No judging, as who can decide what level of skill, material, finish or flavour is best for another person's addition to their layout?

The challenge is to complete the subject by a particular day. At this juncture Easter Sunday, thus the "Easter Challenge"

The subject is decided by a Poll

The subjects in the poll are suggestions by members, collated by a member (private mail) who does not divulge who suggested what, but by a particular date will open the poll of the members' ideas for voting. Members make suggestions as suits, (reminder: there are 25 options on the forum's poll) but can only vote once in the poll. Dont vote in the poll if you are not intending to participate, but if you do vote you are not obliged to participate. (thus you wont have to make fire buckets if you're modelling a diesel era layout)

Thus if the greater number of members think that this is an impetus to get them cracking on something, then that will be the subject that everyone who then wishes to, will be working on. New modellers are very likely to have a number of things that at some stage they want on their layout, It may also be that established modellers may wish to replace something on their layout.

Members on the challenge will do a weekly update on the challenge thread. The day your update occurs will be worked out by the length of your title,
(Monday is 1.... thus for VerdevaleRailway as follows V=1, e=2, r=3, d=4, e=5, v=6, a=7, l=1, e=2, R=3, a=4, i=5, l=6, w=7, a=1, y=2, thus my day is (2) or Tuesday. Update can be as short or as long as you wish, with or without pics, or Youtube presentation of interpretive dance (if that is your favoured mode of communication) of how you fared in your week of construction or distraction. Whatever, just do an update to keep it all interesting.

I've put his together so that it encourages members to work on something that suits their own layout.

You are quite free to ignore this post completely, the suggestion is worth exactly what you paid for it :D
'whose origin was a terminus'
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

How about choosing a particular kit, plastic, nothing expensive

for example:

for Beginners ..build and paint any Dapol kit, wagons, trains, buildings, etc etc.

Intermediates ... build and paint a wills craftsman kit, cooperscraft etc or similar

and Experts/Experienced modellers .. Kit-Bash or scratch build.

That's my tuppence worth.

Chris P