Hitachi Javelin

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Campaigner

Hitachi Javelin

Post by Campaigner »

Had an email from Rails of Sheffield today to announce that the Javelins are now released, not really into these modern bug units but it does look good and I can feel more expenditure coming on :?
Campaigner

Re: Hitachi Javelin

Post by Campaigner »

Having just been on their website, it says forthcoming release, so I guess not yet. :(
ChrisWV10

Post by ChrisWV10 »

They're available from hattons....
ASFC

Post by ASFC »

They have been released, unless I imagined the two on the shelf at work the other day.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=32899
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

ASFC wrote:They have been released, unless I imagined the two on the shelf at work the other day.
OK then, are they any good, i.e. worth the money? :)
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Rails of Sheffield, have sent me an email saying they have it in stock. I'm not really into modern stock, but I have to say it does look rather smart.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

egroeg93

Post by egroeg93 »

They are on ebay at buy it now.. Anyone out there got one/considering!?

Its over £150 on the hornby website.. I've seen it for 107..
ASFC

Post by ASFC »

Campaigner wrote:
ASFC wrote:They have been released, unless I imagined the two on the shelf at work the other day.
OK then, are they any good, i.e. worth the money? :)
It looks like a nice model-no idea how well it runs though, as no one is brave enougth to test run it because of how tightly packed it is!
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=32899
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I think Hornby have dropped a "you know what" by making this model... It runs in a very small section on one line in the South East and has no appeal other than it will whisk people from St Pancras to erm.... Stratford Rochester & Ashford? Woo Hoo whoopee! I can hardly contain my indifference. At Least Bachmann look to fair better with a good old "Slammer" which was seen all over the system in the South East from Kent to Dorset!

Yes the Javelins are nice and the model looks impressive and people might buy one for the sake of it but I don't think it's going to be a blockbusting seller. Hornby's Eurostarhas more appeal simply because more people from across the country are likely to go on one to get to France & Europe.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!

Post by 60007 »

Metadyneman wrote:I think Hornby have dropped a "you know what" by making this model...
I can see where you're coming from, but I think I read somewhere that they're trying to get more operational by next year. Also, Hornby may be 'biding their time/get it out before bachmann can' as the javelins will be used for the 2012 olympics, by which time many more should be in operation. I think what they've done is see how many sales they can get over the next 2 years, where at 2012 their sales should rocket, as foreign people who have come to the uk to watch may want a "souvenir"/ hornby will release a special set
If I wasn't me, I'd be someone else!
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

I've been told today thatthese things have the same motor as the Eurostar :( what on earth are they thinking about :evil:

Does anyone know if the Pendolino has the same motor?
DIRTY DIESEL

Post by DIRTY DIESEL »

Campaigner wrote:I've been told today thatthese things have the same motor as the Eurostar :( what on earth are they thinking about :evil:

Does anyone know if the Pendolino has the same motor?
Yes it has and iv sent 2 of my Javelins back for a refund, very dissapointed if Im honest, does n't seem to like points unless level and stalls on frogs just like Pendo. Also has traction tyres which I don't like.
Does look nice though, sticking with non traction tyred locos from now on.

Stu
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

When are Hornby going to realise that these cheap out of date drives are not acceptable in todays models. :evil:

On the bright side :idea: that's just saved me quite a few £££ :D Probably end up spending it now on a Bachmann 4 CEP :wink:
DIRTY DIESEL

Post by DIRTY DIESEL »

Campaigner wrote:When are Hornby going to realise that these cheap out of date drives are not acceptable in todays models. :evil:

On the bright side :idea: that's just saved me quite a few £££ :D Probably end up spending it now on a Bachmann 4 CEP :wink:

Thats is exactly where my money has now gone B/G CEP.

Stu
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Bimey that is bad news. I thought Hornby had done away with these awful motors and traction tyres on new models. My 4-CEP arrived this morning so needless to say it's been out on the garden layout all day. I'm well pleased with it and will definitely be getting another as time and money allows.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!